Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Swiss Death Certificate and Egyptian Will

Hi,

Okay this is a bit of a long one, so hold my beer.

I have had an unverified tree for my fathers' side for quite a few years now (I'm not sure who put it together, but I found it on Ancestry.co.uk), but I decided recently to try to verify it properly. I've been uncovering some useful information, but I am a little lost on my great-great grandparents. My great-grandfather was Walter Peter Inglott (Egypt 1883-1956 Worthing). I have recently ordered his birth certificate to find out his mother's name, but I already have his marriage certificate, and a passport renewal, in which he names his father as a Vincent Nicholas Inglott (1850, Malta). I found that the national archives had an Egyptian will by a Vincent Nicholas Inglott (Egypt 1850-1920 Switzerland), and thought It must be Walter Peters' father (How many Vincent Nicholas Inglott's were born in 1850 and alive back then?!)

So anyway, in the documents I received from the National Archive, it had the will, but also what I think is a death certificate from Switzerland. Let me first mention, that in the unverified family tree, it lists Walter as being the only child in a first relationship (no known mother), and that he had several half siblings. It also listed Vincent Nicholas Inglott as dying in Switzerland. In the will it has no mention of Walter at all. It mentions many other Inglott's (who, in the tree are listed as Vincent's sons and daughters, and Walter's half siblings) but no mention of Walter.

In the death certificate it lists Adele de Beauvert (nee Letand) as Vincent's mother, (my supposed great-great-great grandmother). It also lists his wife as Rose-Marie Venel (I have found a marriage entry for Vincent, where she is listed as Rosina Venel), but it says he is from Norfolk. It also lists his own father as being a Antoine Inglott, but in the unverified tree, his father has been listed as Antonio Ferdinando Inglott Bey (1831-1906 Egypt).

This has really confused me, but I'm wondering if anybody may be able to assist? I don't have the birth certificate for Walter yet, but I think it is very likely to hold true to the unverified tree somewhat.

I'm guessing that the death certificate may not be entirely accurate? The Swiss authorities may not have had any simple way of retrieving the information on his father or mother, or where he was from originally. I'm guessing the Norfolk part could have been some kind of issuing district in his passport? (I think he was considered a British subject), or he could have had some other home in Norfolk. It does list his home as being Montreux, and his birth as being Egypt in 1850 (The translations I made were in google, so could be inaccurate).

With the will, I suppose Walter could have been born out of wedlock, or perhaps Vincent thought he was already successful and didn't need any hand downs. I also suppose they could have fallen out, or maybe Vincent just never knew of Walter. There is always the chance that this is not the same Vincent at all.

Any thoughts on all of this?

I'll put up the documents in question in case I am not reading them correctly:

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by toaster View Post

Antonio Ferdinando Inglott Bey (1831-1906 Egypt).

Bey could be a title:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bey

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egypt_Eyalet

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    Yes, I have heard a little bit about Antonio Ferdinando Inglott Bey (1831-1906 Egypt), it is thought that he received the Bey suffix after he sheltered nearby people in his villa during a bombardment on Alexandria. He also wrote a book "A Dictionary of English Homonyms". It would be very interesting if he was my ancestor, but still not certain, yet! I first need to figure out this Vincent situation!

The next person in the original tree is called Felice Vincenzo Luigi Inglott, he was the captain of a Maltese ship, and has a portrait in a Maltese museum. However, the records would indicate that he was 50 years old when Antonio was born, and his wife 46 - not impossible, but I think quite unlikely for those days. Once I try to get the Vincent and Antonio/Antoine entries done, I will try to work out if there's a missing person in the line, or whether the connection is just wrong entirely.

Another thing that baffles me about the death certificate from Switzerland is that it says (unless I'm translating it wrong) he was from Norfolk, England, but lived in Montreux, Switzerland, and was born in Alexandria, Egypt.

There is a medieval Inglott line from Norfolk, but the Maltese Inglott line has not found any connection. I can also not find any reference to Vincent in any UK searches I've made, apart from the marriage between him and Rosina. I'm wondering how Norfolk is connected.

Unfortunately, it looks at though the GRO does not have the record of birth for Walter Peter. I just checked the order progress, and it says they are issuing a refund. I think it probably backs up the idea that he may have been born out of wedlock, but it is absolutely the worst possible outcome in terms of finding any further history.

So, one of the first bits of information about Walter that I found was his passport (strangely), it had been donated to Durham University as an example of a Sudanese/British passport (perhaps he was not born in Egypt, but rather Sudan?), I actually asked Durham for a copy years ago, but I've misplaced it now.

Anyway, I checked the record again on Durhams website, and they have listed the name of the person who donated it, so I have just contacted the person to find out how they received it. More than likely it will not lead me anywhere, but fingers crossed. Perhaps the person knew my family in some way.

I managed to find the passport copy.

He was living in Sudan at the time, which was in the 1930s. It does have a different date of birth to that of a later document (out by 10 days 7th instead of 17th), but I had previously made an application with this dob, and it came back the same way.

In the passport, it says that it is valid for the British Empire, Egypt, Italy, Switzerland, Kuwait, and Sudan. I'm not knowledgeable about how passports worked back then, but is it at all possible that it was valid for Switzerland, because he applied for it to be so? If he purposely applied for some kind of visa to freely travel into Switzerland, then perhaps that backs up the idea that he was Vincent's son?

Quote Originally Posted by toaster View Post
    so I have just contacted the person to find out how they received it. More than likely it will not lead me anywhere
    I received a reply from the person, and although they had donated items to the university, the passport was not one of them. I have now contacted Durham to see if they actually have a record of who donated it. Probably not going to lead to anything.

I have a theory; perhaps Walter Peter Inglott was born out of wedlock but maybe Vincent did marry his mother after the fact. Rosina Venel is the name of Vincent's wife. Maybe I should order a BC under the name of Walter Peter Venel and see if anything comes out of it?

Durham has said it was donated on behalf of someone else, of whom there is no record.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast