Loves to help with queries

Default Need help with a Brenchley, Kent location.

In the 1851 England Census (Class: HO107; Piece: 1615; Folio: 401; Page: 6 for Kent, Brenchley, ED 2a, there is mention of one James Wells, age 63, living at a place called either, "Buley Hale" or "Buley Hall." The writing is such that the last letter could be an "e" or an "l."

Has anyone any experience with this area and knows whether the place would be "Buley Hale" or "Buley Hall"?
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 29-10-2019 at 12:24 AM. Reason: GSU roll numbers not permitted on non-LDS sites

Could it be Tudely Hale which Genuki tells me is a parish in Brenchley.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

This mentions both Buley (x5) and Hale (x5) but not in combination "Buley Hale". Looking at the original census entry, the first character looks like a "B" (if somewhat flowery)

https://kentarchaeology.org.uk/research/tithes/brenchley

A James Wells is also listed
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

On the '51 Census, same page as James, is "Portobello Cottage". A "Broadoak" cottage listed on the following page

https://maps.nls.uk/view/102343618

If you look at the village of Brenchley, there is both a "Portobello" and "Broadoak"

South Eastern Gazette, 18 Sep 1849
    "BRENCHLEY
    On Wednesday evening last the dwelling house of Mr James Wells (Buley Hall) was discovered to be on fire in the kitchen, occasioned by the incautiousness of a bricklayer, who recently had made a fire too near the timber, and a rafter had ignited, two being burnt asunder."

Wow! A special thank you to each one of you.

Christina, I appreciate your taking the time to try to find ths place. I keep forgetting Genuki.

"helechau," Thank you for a definitive answer (Buley Hall), but now know of a few new resources for future use. What source did you use to find the article? I'm thinking of switching from Ancestry to FindMyPast, since most of my mother's side are from the England and Scotland.

I found it on British Newspaper Archive (BNA). It is also available on FindMyPast.

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    I found it on British Newspaper Archive (BNA). It is also available on FindMyPast.
    Thank you. It makes me think getting a FindMyPast subscription would be more useful than Ancestry.