Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Meyers and lazarus

Hi my name is Leigh Mason born Meyers

I have been researching the Meyers family for a couple of years now and have been amazed how much info I have found.
    I am the gg grand daughter of Thomas Meyers and Julia Lasarus.
    I believe that Frederick Meyers is one of my ancestors, he is the son Herman Meyers of Germany,he was sent to Australia for steeling, his wife (Judith) and three children also went to followed him. I don't know what happened to them after that.
    My great grandfather was Frederick Nathaniel Meyers who was married to Maria Churcher Paddy.

Cheers Leigh M

The Lazarus and Meyers lines are Jewish with several roots in the UK. You might want to post your data and any questions on the Jewish Roots forum.

Let us know if we can support your research.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Hello Leigh and welcome to the British-Genealogy forums.
    Isn't it great now we have so much genealogy info online for those of us living so far away from our roots?
    We have lots of members on the other side of the world who are great at ferreting out the pieces of information needed to help us move back with our ancestors and when they wake up it won't be too long before you get some replies.
    To help them can you give us some dates, places of birth etc for the people you mention?

There is a tree on ancestry for the people you mention.

Thomas Meyers
    1815–1849
    Birth 1815 London England
    Death 8 October 1849 Hobart Town, Tasmania, Australia
    MARRIED
    Julia Lazarus
    1819–1894
    Birth 1819 London, England
    Death 21 July 1894 Carlton, Victoria

Thee tree owner has Thomas' father as

Frederick Meyers
    1785–1851
    Birth 16 June 1785 Bremen, Germany
    Death 3 Augut 1851 Clarence St Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

and his wife
    Judith Unknown
    1788–1825
    Birth 1788 Surrey, England
    Death 23 JUN 1825 Port Sorell, Tasmania

Father of Frederick

Herman Meyers
    1761–
    Birth 12 SEP 1761 Bremen, Germany
    Death Unknown

his wife

Anna Bertha Steinau
    1765–
    Birth 1765 Bremen, Germany
    Death Unknown

Frederick Meyers born 1785 remarried after his wife's death in 1822. His second wife Rebecca Ann Wild born 11 March 1813 Woolwich St Mary Magdalene, England She was a convict.
    Now this couple had 9 children one of whom appears to have been knighted Sir benjamin Henry Meyers.

If you don't have a sub to ancestry.com the you may be able to access it either at your local library or a familysearch facility.

All of the above information is from one tree on ancestry and does need to be checked out and verified although this one does have many sources.

Christina

Hi Philip, I have just seen your message and will move this post as you suggest.
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thank you Christanel. As a help for researchers and subject to confirmation this appears to be the Old Bailey trial for Frederick Meyers and others see Old Bailey online 6 May 1818.
    See also the Rootsweb early post Aus-Tas Meyers,Lazarus and Levy posted by John Meyers 5/28/2008.
    There are numbers of online citations and data on the Meyers/Lazarus and associated families. The data indicates Jewish individuals marrying out of the Jewish faith.
    The Tasmanian Convict records online contain further details on the individuals.

See UK Prison Hulk Registers and Letter Book 1802-1849- Frederick Meyers -the Bellerphon Register- 7 years transportation disposed of to the Caledonia 25 June 1820 for Van Diemen's Land. See also online Convict records for Frederick Meyers aka MYERS with data- age 33 born 16 June 1785 sugar baker ( pastry cook) and Meyers family member stating he was born in Bremen Germany.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hello Leigh and welcome to the British-Genealogy forums.
    Isn't it great now we have so much genealogy info online for those of us living so far away from our roots?
    We have lots of members on the other side of the world who are great at ferreting out the pieces of information needed to help us move back with our ancestors and when they wake up it won't be too long before you get some replies.
    To help them can you give us some dates, places of birth etc for the people you mention?

There is a tree on ancestry for the people you mention.

Thomas Meyers
    1815–1849
    Birth 1815 London England
    Death 8 October 1849 Hobart Town, Tasmania, Australia
    MARRIED
    Julia Lazarus
    1819–1894
    Birth 1819 London, England
    Death 21 July 1894 Carlton, Victoria

Thee tree owner has Thomas' father as

Frederick Meyers
    1785–1851
    Birth 16 June 1785 Bremen, Germany
    Death 3 Augut 1851 Clarence St Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

and his wife
    Judith Unknown
    1788–1825
    Birth 1788 Surrey, England
    Death 23 JUN 1825 Port Sorell, Tasmania

Father of Frederick

Herman Meyers
    1761–
    Birth 12 SEP 1761 Bremen, Germany
    Death Unknown

his wife

Anna Bertha Steinau
    1765–
    Birth 1765 Bremen, Germany
    Death Unknown

Frederick Meyers born 1785 remarried after his wife's death in 1822. His second wife Rebecca Ann Wild born 11 March 1813 Woolwich St Mary Magdalene, England She was a convict.
    Now this couple had 9 children one of whom appears to have been knighted Sir benjamin Henry Meyers.

If you don't have a sub to ancestry.com the you may be able to access it either at your local library or a familysearch facility.

All of the above information is from one tree on ancestry and does need to be checked out and verified although this one does have many sources.

Christina

Hi Philip, I have just seen your message and will move this post as you suggest.
    Hi Christina,
    thank you for all that information on my Meyers family, I am a bit curious about the birth of Frederick in Bremen, I went onto the Jewish Roots website and found Hermann Meyer and his wife Anna but it shows they only had one child and that was a girl, also called Anna. The wife Anna's middle name is also listed as Tobertha, not Bertha.

thank you for your help

Death is not the opposite of life, it is part of it

There are transcription errors on numbers of the Ancestry.Co documents including name spellings. Among the records on Ancestry.Co Australia records there are references to Death Frederick Meyers NSW 1851 Sydney German Reformed Church. This suggests a non Jewish burial and raises the question as to whether or not Frederick was born a Jew, converted or else was buried according to his wishes or those of his relatives.I have several relatives born Jews but buried in Christian grave yards.

There are records for at least 2 children of Frederick Meyers ( no date of birth on the records) and Rebecca Wild- 1 Frederick Meyer 2 Henry James Meyer. Nb These are transcriptions of the records and the original are not available on Ancestry.Co

For researchers looking at the Lazarus line connected through the marriage of Julia Lazarus=Thomas Meyers see the online website which has a photograph of Julia Lazarus with data on her subsequent marriages, parents, burial, children. This website states that on the death of Thomas Meyers, Julia re-married to Saul Solomons but divorced him(the issue of Jewish divorce and the role of the Beth Din has been referred by me in other posts but see'From One End of the Earth to the other. The London Bet Din,1805-1855, and the Jewish convicts transported to Australia, Jeremy I Pfeffer,Sussex Academic Press,2010)
    Julia Lazarus had a relationship with James Henry Shaw aka Sharland and the site does not confirm a marriage.
    Julia Lazarus is buried in a Baptist section Wakapuaka Cemetery Nelson NZ 1894- see photo of her memorial.

Her father was Isaac Lazarus=Esther ( last name not know as yet).He died in 1876. This may be him..Death Isaac LAZARUS at 30 Canonbury Road,Essex Road, age 90. He was buried at The Jewish Cemetery at Willesden on 27 January, 1876 owing to the active intervention of some coreligionists. This announcement is made by Mr.GUEDELLA with a view of hearing from his family abroad. Australian Newspapers please copy- The Jewish Victorian:Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1871-1880 transcribed and edited by Doreen Berger,1999 Publisher Robert Boyd.
    Nb If this newspaper article relates to Isaac father of Julia et al then it looks as if the Jewish community had to deal with his burial in the absence of his children or in laws. Further research is needed to confirm that this Isaac is one in the same as Isaac father of Julia and others.

Loves to help with queries

I see that Frederick Meyers was transported to Australia. I had a quick search on the National Library of Australia TROVE website and there are newspaper items about a Frederick Meyers who seems to have been hitting the news in the 1820-30s. He may be yours (not that these items with tell you what you wanted to know, though). https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/ (I checked your post because I am interested in Lazarus families, but I don't think there's a connection.)

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello Leigh
    just found your post about our shared Meyers family. Please confirm your lineage and I can send you substantial details. Frederick Meyers married Judith Meyers in UK and both were sent to Australia as convicts.
    look forward to your response
    kind regards
    John Meyers Turramurra Sydney NSW
    Last edited by christanel; 12-05-2021 at 5:08 AM. Reason: removed ph. number.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast