Thread: Stumped

Valued member of Brit-Gen MrsPoppy's Avatar

Default Stumped

I am researching the Johnson family. Difficult enough but I am putting the children down as one of them must be the parent of 'the grandchild'.

1891 RG12, Piece 2640, Folio 54, Page 18.

Charles and Mary Johnson and son David, who is 17 not 7.

With them is grandaughter Alice Malenden? aged 8 born in Morley?

I cannot find any trace of this child anywhere else. I was hoping it would lead me to a marriage of one of the children of Charles and Mary Ann.

Mary Ann Hopkinson had some of the children before she married Charles. So 1861 census she is down as Hopkinson and the name Charles is crossed out.

Charlotte Ann (Hopkinson), later Johnson born 1857, disappears after 1881

Alice Hopkinson, later Johnson, born 1859, disappears after 1881

Jim (later James) Hopkinson, later Johnson born 1860, disappears after 1881

George Johnson, have him on army records and newspapers deserting from army, later life unknown.

Sarah Ann Johnson born and died in 1866

William Johnson born 1867 have most of his life documented except his death. Married Annie Craggs in 1892. (she is a story all to herself but I cannot see any children from previous marriages that would account for the 'grandchild'.

Rosanna (Rose)Johnson born 1868, disappears after 1881

Charles Johnson born 1871, traced through army records etc

David Johnson born 1873, traced as direct line.

Obviously the later children are too young to have had a child circa 1883 but perhaps the two oldest girls or perhaps Jim had a stepdaughter.

Any thoughts, help etc appreciated as to who this grandchild might be.

Mrs P

Hi Mrs P,

To start things off. Morley births were registered in Dewsbury.

MALLENDER, ALICE, Mother's maiden name HOPKINSON
    GRO Reference: 1881 S Quarter in DEWSBURY Volume 09B Page 577
    Alma

Hi Almach

Thank you for that, I had discounted that one as it seemed too early when the child is only 8 in 1891. I know that ages are very flexible however I couldn't find a marriage between a Mallender/Mallinder variants to a Hopkinson with the first name of Charlotte or Alice. In fact I couldn't find any source documents at all.

I am not totally discounting that but I need to back it up.

I had found that Alice Mallinder (I think) as a servant in 1901.

I will have another look and see if I can tie it in to the Johnson family.

Thank you for looking.

Mrs P

Famous for offering help & advice

Was The Alice you found in 1901 working as a servant for the Webster family in Derbyshire? Is so She married the son Harry/Henry in 1904 in Derbyshire,the image of the cert is on Ancestry,she names her father as William Mallender (deceased).

Starting to feel at home

Elizabeth HOPKINSON, age 19, married William MALLENDER on 26/5/1874 in Sheffield (image is on FMP) - she named her father as Charles HOPKINSON, a wheelwright.

Famous for offering help & advice

1881 there is a William & Elizabeth Mallender living in Filey St,Morley. 2 children Emily & Ernest. Have checked both births and mothers name is Hopkinson.

Starting to feel at home

Correction to the above - she was 20, he was 22 when they married

Thank you all very much for your replies.

After Almach found this I thought I should take a better look at it rather than dismiss it as quickly as I had done before.

Pamela - That was the census I had looked at and I too had looked at that marriage reference.

Sheffield, Rotherham, Gainsborough, all have connnections to this family.

Antony - you have answered the one question that I could not see, her father's name. I do have full access to A and FMP though so if you found it on either of those sites can you let me know. That is one hell of a co-incidence that the father is Charles and a Wheelwright, she has used the surname Hopkinson, some of the other's use Johnson.

Pamela - that certainly looks like them on the census.

So back to Elizabeth the Mother, who says she is born in Ollerton in Yorkshire. Do we think then that Elizabeth is another Hopkinson born before the first child that I have (which is Charlotte Ann). So in fact Mary Ann Hopkinson was having illegitmate children (possibly with Charles Johnson) from 1854 and maybe earlier.

I shall keep having a look and see if Mary Ann is around the Ollerton area in 1851 or has connections there.

Brit Gen have cracked it again. Good job I asked.

Mrs P

Antony - I have just found it on FMP, I have no idea why that did not come up when I searched before.