Thread: Pub in London

Loves to help with queries

Default Pub in London

My mum once told me a story about her dad. He was unable to fight due to health and was a reserve fireman. He worked at a pub somewhere in London. One day he left the pub to one of his friends whilst he went out to buy some cigarettes. Whilst he was at the shop, the sirens started. After the bombing was finished, he went back to the pub and found it had been bombed, and everyone had perished.

I wonder if there is any record of this pub? I need to ask my mum where the pub was in London.

Hi
    Until you find out whereabouts it was you can't do a lot. but once you have a district and approx location/street then this site might help you.
    https://www.closedpubs.co.uk/london.html

Starting to feel at home

If your mum knows the name of anyone who died in the pub you can search the Civilian War Dead 1939-1945
    index on the CWG website. This gives the date & location of the death which would find the pub.

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Hi, when you say " he left the pub to one of his friends", do you mean your dad was the landlord, a barman or a customer?
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by peter nicholl View Post
    Hi, when you say " he left the pub to one of his friends", do you mean your dad was the landlord, a barman or a customer?
    Sorry, yes I meant he was the barman. He asked someone to look after the bar whilst he went to the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by StintonLomas View Post
    Hi
    Until you find out whereabouts it was you can't do a lot. but once you have a district and approx location/street then this site might help you.
    https://www.closedpubs.co.uk/london.html
    Quote Originally Posted by auburn View Post
    If your mum knows the name of anyone who died in the pub you can search the Civilian War Dead 1939-1945
    index on the CWG website. This gives the date & location of the death which would find the pub.
    Thank you, this will help a lot! I need to ask my mum about the pub name and any other details, but will follow up on here if I do find out!