Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by toaster View Post
    I just received John Parry's marriage certificate. He's put his father down as John Henry Parry and lists his occupation as a Master at arms, and as still living at the time of the marriage (1947). My mum didn't know anything about him working at sea.

I should get the marriage certificate for John Henry in a few days.
    How about this.

1939 Register.

13 Heyworth Street, Liverpool
    John H Parry, DOB: 16th Sept 1887, widowed, Master at Arms, SS Scythia, 6/6/39, no 124377
    Same address: Mary E Clark, DOB: 4th Apr 1890, widowed.
    Alma

Famous for offering help & advice

That's interesting to know - that your mother met him.

There is a probate record in Liverpool in 1955 for a John Henry Parry of that 13 Wentworth Street, Everton, Administration to John Perry, Pest Control Operator.

Another the same year with an address of 320 Westminster Road, Kirkdale, Administration to Isabella Parry, widow.

Could either of these be him?

ADDED: My post crossed. That's great info from the 1939.

And if the 1939 record is for 'your' JHP this could be his wife Annie's death registration. Age at deathe fits with her age on 1911 census.

Deaths Dec 1933
    Parry Annie, age 48 W. Derby 8b 515
    Alma

I may be losing the plot a little here – who knew there were so many Parry’s (!) - but based on the possibility that the John H Parry and Mary E Clark from the 1939 register were related, I looked for births and found these:

PARRY, JOHN HENRY mmn HUGHES GRO Ref: 1887 D Quarter in TOXTETH PARK Volume 08B Page 193
    PARRY, MARY ELIZABETH mmn HUGHES GRO Ref: 1890 J Quarter in WEST DERBY Volume 08B Page 528

There is a marriage in 1915
    Thomas Henry Clark 27 Mate Royal Navy. Father James Clark (deceased) Labourer
    Mary Elizabeth Parry 24 Father Owen Parry, a Carter

The 1891 census at Palmers Street, West Derby has this:
    Owen Parry 34 Carter b Ceirchwg (?), Anglesey
    Mary Parry 31 b Almwch (?) Anglesey
    Owen 8 b Liverpool
    Hugh 6 b Liverpool
    John H 3 b Liverpool
    Mary E 1 b Liverpool
    Henry 36 b Ceirchwg (age originally 26 & in the female column)

In 1901 the family is at 1 Goodwood Street, Liverpool

Loves to help with queries

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    That's interesting to know - that your mother met him.

There is a probate record in Liverpool in 1955 for a John Henry Parry of that 13 Wentworth Street, Everton, Administration to John Perry, Pest Control Operator.

Another the same year with an address of 320 Westminster Road, Kirkdale, Administration to Isabella Parry, widow.

Could either of these be him?

ADDED: My post crossed. That's great info from the 1939.
    Yes, my grandfather was a pest control operator for a time! This must be correct.

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    How about this.

1939 Register.

13 Heyworth Street, Liverpool
    John H Parry, DOB: 16th Sept 1887, widowed, Master at Arms, SS Scythia, 6/6/39, no 124377
    Same address: Mary E Clark, DOB: 4th Apr 1890, widowed.
    I wonder if that means he was a master at arms during WWII. I have only one photo of him (it must be about 1910) and it looks like he is wearing a stretcher bearer armband. I can't find any military records that support his military career though.

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    And if the 1939 record is for 'your' JHP this could be his wife Annie's death registration. Age at deathe fits with her age on 1911 census.

Deaths Dec 1933
    Parry Annie, age 48 W. Derby 8b 515
    This could be correct, I do know that she died quite young.

I may be losing the plot a little here – who knew there were so many Parry’s (!)
    Yes, it makes things a little difficult to search. He apparently spoke Welsh with his wife, so I don't know if that means he was born in Wales, or he just grew up with it in the house.

I’m getting more & more confused by the minute

In 1911 there is a John Parry in Everton, aged 24, born Liverpool, Sailor Fireman, but he’s with a 21 year old wife named Amelia & has a 1-year old son named Robert John Parry. This child’s birth registration gives a mmn of Newman, but I cant find a marriage to match (according to the census they’d been married 2 years)

I think I need to lie down in a darkened room!

If the JHP in 1939 register is the right chap then these are the possible birth regs.
    unless he was registered within 14 days of birth.

Births Dec 1887
    Parry John Henry Bangor 11b 439, MMN [Roberts]
    Parry John Henry Pwllheli 11b 335, MMN [Thomas]
    Parry John Henry Toxteth Park 8b 193, MMN [Hughes]
    Alma

Brick wall demolition expert!

The 1891 census at Palmers Street, West Derby has this:
    Owen Parry 34 Carter b Ceirchwg (?), Anglesey
    Mary Parry 31 b Almwch (?) Anglesey
    Owen 8 b Liverpool
    Hugh 6 b Liverpool
    John H 3 b Liverpool
    Mary E 1 b Liverpool
    Henry 36 b Ceirchwg (age originally 26 & in the female column)

In 1901 the family is at 1 Goodwood Street, Liverpool

The mistranscribed Anglesey place names are:

CEIRCHIOG and

AMLWCH

The two census references for 1891 and 1901 are:
    1891 - piece 2994 Folio 158 page 38 - note if you are using FMP they have transcribed the street address (incorrectly) as "Chalmers Street"

1901 - piece 3408 folio 119 page 78. In that census Mary Parry, the mother, says that she was from Rhosgoch, Amlwch.

Google, or another mapping service should pick up all these places for you.

Assuming that this is the right family you can take Owen Parry further back:
    1881 Census: Piece 3648, Folio 129, Page 54

1871 Census: Piece 5750, Folio 21, Page 7

1861 Census: Piece 4363, Folio 53, Page 6

Based on these censuses I think that Owen and Mary married between 1871 and 1881, and there is a possible marriage fit in 1879, in the December quarter: West Derby Volume 8B Page 891 Owen Parry married EITHER Mary Ellen Hughes or Mary Jane Lewis.

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    The mistranscribed Anglesey place names are:

CEIRCHIOG and

AMLWCH
    Thanks Megan, I'm of Welsh descent (Morgan or Howell, depending on whether you believe the birth certificate or the evidence!)but I freely admit to being useless with Welsh place names

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by toaster View Post
    He apparently spoke Welsh with his wife, so I don't know if that means he was born in Wales, or he just grew up with it in the house.
    Even today if a couple speak Welsh no matter where they live they are almost certainly likely to speak Welsh to one another and their children, as its probably their first language even if they were not born in Wales.

It was my father's first language, but my mother was from Pembrokeshire and did not speak Welsh, so we were not brought up speaking the language, but we were born in London, and my parents had many Welsh friends who were both Welsh speakers, and whose children often only spoke Welsh until they started school.

About 25 years ago my father and some friends went to Patagonia, and they were delighted to be able to chat in Welsh with people who ancestor's had emigrated their in the 1900s, but who still retain the language.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast