Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    Thanks Megan, I'm of Welsh descent (Morgan or Howell, depending on whether you believe the birth certificate or the evidence!)but I freely admit to being useless with Welsh place names
    If in doubt try this:
    https://www.genuki.org.uk/gazetteer

I particularly like the function "place containing" or "place starting" etc.

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    In 1911 there is a John Parry in Everton, aged 24, born Liverpool, Sailor Fireman, but he’s with a 21 year old wife named Amelia & has a 1-year old son named Robert John Parry. This child’s birth registration gives a mmn of Newman, but I cant find a marriage to match (according to the census they’d been married 2 years)
    That couple were married 11 Apr 1909 (W. Derby 8b 431). His father was John PARRY, a Stevedor. FreeBMD only have a partial index number for John which is why they don't come up together in a search.

Loves to help with queries

My mum has previously done a DNA test, and on ancestry.co.uk it's showing quite a few references to Hughes, so I imagine the Hughes link is likely true. The Marriage certificate should confirm it, when it arrives!

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    Even today if a couple speak Welsh no matter where they live they are almost certainly likely to speak Welsh to one another and their children, as its probably their first language even if they were not born in Wales.

It was my father's first language, but my mother was from Pembrokeshire and did not speak Welsh, so we were not brought up speaking the language, but we were born in London, and my parents had many Welsh friends who were both Welsh speakers, and whose children often only spoke Welsh until they started school.

About 25 years ago my father and some friends went to Patagonia, and they were delighted to be able to chat in Welsh with people who ancestor's had emigrated their in the 1900s, but who still retain the language.
    I absolutely love that! I live in Japan, and my kids are half Japanese, but they all speak English in British accents (they also know Japanese), and I would love it if one day their kids could also do the same. I know it's not quite the same as Welsh, but it's great to preserve your roots. I don't think I will be able to teach them any Welsh though.

I just received the marriage certificate for John Henry and Annie.

They were both 24 when they married (5th Jul 1909) he is listed as a coal miner, his father Owen Parry is listed as a carter.

Annie Roberts father (listed as deceased) was Robert Roberts and his occupation is bricklayer.

The two witnesses are Owen Roberts and Maggie Owen.

I am getting dizzy from all the Owens, Parry's and Roberts...

Quote Originally Posted by toaster View Post
    I just received the marriage certificate for John Henry and Annie.

They were both 24 when they married (5th Jul 1909) he is listed as a coal miner, his father Owen Parry is listed as a carter.

Annie Roberts father (listed as deceased) was Robert Roberts and his occupation is bricklayer.

The two witnesses are Owen Roberts and Maggie Owen.

I am getting dizzy from all the Owens, Parry's and Roberts...
    First thing I've noticed is that the date of birth is not the same as the John Henry Parry in the 1939 register. It's a couple of years out. I can confirm that this is the correct John Henry and Annie Roberts though, because the address matches with John Parry's birth certificate.

I have a John Henry Parry born in 1885 Pontypridd, Glamorganshire, Wales with a mother's maiden name of Smith, and a marriage between a Owen Parry and Annie Smith in 1881 in Salford. (A bit far from Pontypridd though..) and that's all I could find.

Here's the certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by toaster View Post
    First thing I've noticed is that the date of birth is not the same as the John Henry Parry in the 1939 register. It's a couple of years out. I can confirm that this is the correct John Henry and Annie Roberts though, because the address matches with John Parry's birth certificate.

I have a John Henry Parry born in 1885 Pontypridd, Glamorganshire, Wales with a mother's maiden name of Smith, and a marriage between a Owen Parry and Annie Smith in 1881 in Salford. (A bit far from Pontypridd though..) and that's all I could find.
    I wouldn't be too phased by a couple of years discrepancy in ages it's not uncommon. You have to look at all the evidence and then sift out the erroneous bits. I got side tracked for a number of years by the information on my gt gt grandfather's death certificate which said he was 54 years old, the funeral information said he was 58, and all the census information implied he was 60. Because of this confusion I could not find his birth certificate- too many Roberts but eventually it was, and the censuses were right he was 60 when he died.

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    - too many Roberts
    Yes Roberts everywhere! Haha!

Thanks, I will keep that in mind! Here's what I have so far:

So to go over what we have so far on John Henry.

John Henry Parry Married Annie Roberts in 1909
    Annie gave birth to John Parry in 1910
    John Henry Parry's father was Owen Parry (a carter)
    John Henry Parry was either born in 1884-5 or 87 (based on the marriage certificate, and the 1939 register respectively)
    John Henry Parry may have been a marine fireman (stoker), coal miner, and master at arms at different periods.
    John Henry Parry may have served in the military (based on my mothers information and a photograph of him in military clothes)
    John Henry Parry lived in Bootle, Lancashire for some time.
    John Henry Parry apparently died on the 7th Jan 1955 (my mother remembers meeting him when she was very young, and she was born in 1952)
    John Henry Parry and his wife may have spoken Welsh together at home, and John Parry spoke of his heritage from Wales.

That seems to be all I have so far.

Ah but I think there is more to be picked out from the previous posts.

Go back to post #34 and look at the details for the 1891 census listed. OWEN PARRY – a carter, and his son John H is aged 3 born in Liverpool.

And then if you down to Post #38 that will take you back to 1861.

In post #37 there are 3 potential birth registrations given. Based on the 1891 census it must be the last one in Toxteth, which fits with the “Welsh Streets”!, and would also allow you pretty certain that Owen Parry’s wife was Mary Ellen Hughes – see the bottom of Post #38.

Famous for offering help & advice

See post #34. This seems to be his family.

ADDED: Posts crossed.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast