Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Great grandad confusion!

Hi everyone,

First time posting here! I've been trying to crack this mystery for a long time and I'm just getting nowhere.

So,my great grandmother was Doreen May Pawsey, 1909-1994.
    As far as my family were aware, my great grandfather was Leslie Arthur Clayton, 1914-1993.

However, through records we've found that Doreen actually married a William Augustus Frank Clayton (1915-1983) in Richmond in 1934. My grandad was born a few months later and they all lived together in Fulham until the second world war.

After the war, Doreen is listed living with Leslie Arthur. For the life of me I can't find out anything about him or his family. I'd love to know whether he and William were related or whether the shared surname was a weird coincidence. They both seem to be men of mystery, I've no idea what went on and I'd really like to find more out.

Any ideas?
    Thanks

Hi clayt06, and welcome to British - Genealogy.

Records from 1939 Register.

William A F Clayton (married) born Apr 17th 1915, (personal occupation: packing case repairer). Fireman AFS (presumably his war time occupation. Address: Fire Station, 685 Fulham Road.

Doreen M Clayton born 8th Aug 1909, married, unpaid domestic duties, address: 188, Vera Rd, Fulham.

Maurice D Clayton, born July 1934, in a household headed by James Wagstaff and his wife Elsie, address: Ocerdale Woking Rd, Guildford, Surrey. Possibly an evacuee.

I cannot find a Leslie A Clayton on the 1939 register to fit with your details about him.

ETA: I've just found a family tree on Ancestry including your folks, is it your tree, if so you have the details I've posted but I'll leave them here as they will help others trying to help you.
    Alma

A fountain of knowledge

Do you have the marriage cert. for Doreen and William, it should state who William's father is and his occupation. Having some information on his father might help to find more information on William / Leslie.

Do you have Maurice's birth cert? If so which name and occupation is on it for father?

A fountain of knowledge

I found this but not sure if it means anything or just takes us down the wrong road.

Births Dec 1914
    CLAYTON Leslie A
    Mothers maiden name - Covell
    District Wharfedale 9a 234

Birth
    William A F Clayton June 1/4 1915 Richmond Surrey mother's maiden name Barron.

Marriage Frank G Clayton and Florence A Barron on same page FreeBMD Sept 1/4 1910 Richmond.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

On the 1911 census Frank G Clayton with wife Florence at 9 Buxton Road, Mortlake, Richmond Surrey. No children. Occupation - Surgeons dispenser.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Did your great grandmother have only one child?
    Alma

Results from Electoral Registers.

Doreen May and William Augustus together in Fulham 1936, 1935, 1938.

Doreen and William F in Luton 1955, Doreen, Leslie, Maurice in Luton 1956, Doreen and Leslie 1958 Beds.

So, up to 1955 Doreen is with William then in 1956 she's with Leslie??

Could William and Leslie be the same chap; did he for some reason change his first names?
    Alma

A fountain of knowledge

I was wondering as well if they are the same fella. Could easily have changed his birth year but then the OP has 2 different death years. 1983 for William and 1993 for Leslie.

Free bdm
    Deaths Dec 1983
    CLAYTON WILLIAM AUGUSTUS F DOB 17 AP 1915
    BULLINGDON 20 2237

Brick wall demolition expert!

There is no entry in the 1939 Register for a Leslie Arthur Clayton born 14 Oct 1914.

You could try buying the death certificate for William Augustus identified above to see what that says about where he was living, and who registered his death. If it was a family member, maybe they know more, but you would have think carefully about how you approached them.

The more I have searched the more I am beginning to suspect that Leslie Arthur Clayton may not have been born with that name.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast