Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The more I have searched the more I am beginning to suspect that Leslie Arthur Clayton may not have been born with that name.
    And, I agree, Megan.
    Alma

Reputation beyond repute

What was given as the father's name on Maurice's marriage certificate?

Why was William Augustus F Clayton in Oxfordshire? Any clue on his death certificate?

On the death certificate of Doreen May Clayton, how is she described. It should say "widow of..." (of whom).

Have you got the will of Doreen May Clayton? It might be informative. In any case it won't cost much.

When Doreen died was she living in Maurice's house or vice versa?

What's on Leslie Arthur's death certificate?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    There is no entry in the 1939 Register for a Leslie Arthur Clayton born 14 Oct 1914.

You could try buying the death certificate for William Augustus identified above to see what that says about where he was living, and who registered his death. If it was a family member, maybe they know more, but you would have think carefully about how you approached them.

The more I have searched the more I am beginning to suspect that Leslie Arthur Clayton may not have been born with that name.
    It's my understanding that people who were in the military weren't listed in the 1939 Register, so Leslie could have either enlisted when war was declared or could have already have been in one of the Forces as his actual occupation. (e.g. he'd joined the RAF in 1935)

Equally he could have been something like a passenger ship's steward, or had emigrated. Anyone think it might be worth tracing Leslie's parents and siblings to see if any of them are around in 1939?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by shippo View Post
    I found this but not sure if it means anything or just takes us down the wrong road.

Births Dec 1914
    CLAYTON Leslie A
    Mothers maiden name - Covell
    District Wharfedale 9a 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    It's my understanding that people who were in the military weren't listed in the 1939 Register, so Leslie could have either enlisted when war was declared or could have already have been in one of the Forces as his actual occupation. (e.g. he'd joined the RAF in 1935)

Equally he could have been something like a passenger ship's steward, or had emigrated. Anyone think it might be worth tracing Leslie's parents and siblings to see if any of them are around in 1939?
    Pam
    I think shippo's find might be a red herring, and it was this Leslie I was referring to in my post.
    In 1981, Wharfedale registration district became part of Leeds registration district. and there's a death registration for a Leslie Arthur Clayton, born 22 October 1914, in Leeds registration district March quarter 1992 which I think is highly likely to be the one born in Wharfedale. Can't find this Leslie in 1939.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Brick wall demolition expert!

Whilst not wishing to add to anyone's confusion if my hypothesis that Leslie Arthur Clayton was born under another name was correct then the following might be worth thinking about.

In the 1950s people didn't need documents to identify themselves with except in limited circumstances such as applying for a passport, or in later times taking out a life insurance policy. So perhaps in trying to establish who he was it might worth asking around the family is there an old box of papers that came from your grandparents house that has never been sorted out? You never know if there is there might be a clue in there.

If I was going to change my identity I think that I would probably try to hold on to some of the past so that I wouldn't have to remember too many new things. In the 1939 Register there are 1024 males who have a birth date of 4.10.1914, and 16 of them have Leslie, or a derivative of Leslie as their name. There is one Leslie Arthur who is living in London and married. In 1940 he joined the Royal Artillery and his attestation papers are on FMP. Now these have various scribbles on them which I don't understand and in particular "KR 15.12.1943". I can't find a likely death record for this particular man including on the Commonwealth War Graves site. I would be interested to hear what others think. I have deliberately avoided including his surname since it is quite likely that I am barking up the wrong tree!

Reputation beyond repute

As my words of wisdom seem to have fallen on stony ground I'll say in other words that rather than speculate it would be much productive for the questioner to follow tried and trusted methods and obtain readily available documents, including three death certificates and a will.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks so much for all your replies! I'm definitely going to get hold of some certificates over the next few pay days.

Regarding William, I had found a Frank George Clayton & Florence Annie Barrow who I thought may be his parents. His mum's maiden name is listed as Barron, but maybe some dodgy handwriting had it listed wrong? The names Frank and Augustus appear in that family line, and with those being William's middle names I thought there's a good chance that's his family. Hopefully a wedding certificate will help me out there.

I saw the Leslie born in Wharfedale but thought I was probably barking up the wrong tree due to the different date of birth. Also my dad and his siblings knew him well and didn't know of any Yorkshire connections. On that note, Leslie and Doreen moved around a ridiculous amount. My dad would go to see them only to find they'd upped and moved. He also went to see Leslie in hospital not long before he died and the nurses asked my dad for details about him because he wouldn't tell them anything. All of this had us thinking maybe they were the same person, but the two death records threw that off. I don't think my dad would be at all surprised if he wasn't born under those details, seems he was an interesting guy and a little shifty throughout life!

To answer the question about Doreen, I know she was living with Maurice when she died and he was her only child as far as anyone knows.

Just to confuse things even more, Doreen appears to be on the 1964 electoral register living with an Aubrey J Clayton...

Famous for offering help & advice

There is a marriage in Woolwich in 1958 between Aubrey J H Clayton and Doreen M Clayton. Probably not your Doreen - though you may know of a link to Woolwich.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by clayt06 View Post

Just to confuse things even more, Doreen appears to be on the 1964 electoral register living with an Aubrey J Clayton...
    If you are sure that this was your Doreen that I think that you will have to add the marriage certificate identified by Grisel in post 18 to your list to purchase!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12