Loves to help with queries

Default Identifying British Census Records

Are the Headers dislayed by Ancestry, for British Census records, the same location information as one might find at the front of the census books?

I have been recording the noted Ancestry banner for the images and was wondering, what each of the ">" levels means and whether I could use that data in my citations (for county, place and enumeration district etc.)

Since my Ancestry subscription has lapsed, the only other option would be to go to the library and use their Ancestry subscription to look up the initial pages of every census book involved.

I took a look at the 1901 census using an ancestral name of mine. At the top of the original image it says Lancashire - South Manchester - Ardwick - District 091.
    On the first page of the enumerators book the description is Registration district Chorlton - Registration sub district Ardwick - Enumeration district 91. The there is a box where the local subdivisions which are partly or wholly included in the enumeration district are recorded.
    In the case above it was Civil Parish - South Manchester (part of) Ecclesiastical parish - Gorton All Saints (part of) County Borough, Municipal Borough or urban district - County Borough of Manchester (part of)

So, to me, the heading above the image on ancestry is the more narrow, defined, description of the place where the address is situated and would be fine as the citation for county, place and enumeration district etc.
    The enumerators book does show the streets included in the district but the image gives you the districts number so that is enough to be a reference if wanting to search by enumeration district
    christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Loves to help with queries

Thank you Christina!

I looked at the TNA Discovery catalog and found that they show just the Registration District and Sub-District. The Enumeration District is not shown and only seem to appear as the last term in the banner of an Ancestry image. This agrees with what you found via a different route.

So, I'll use the image banner data I've got, plus the folio and page, and assume it's enough.