Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Limey - Yank says howdy! :)

Hi Everyone, new to this board and looking forward to poking around the forums looking for clues to my ancestry. Very strong Cornish ties in my family with some relatives in Australia and Belgium. Father's last name is Sandoe, traced it back to 1500's on Ancestry.com, Mother's maiden name is Manhire, but drawing a dead end there very quickly. Both grew up in Southwest England. Maternal grandfather is Freeman, and I've got some good tree info on him going back into 1700's. Fraternal grandmother is Vanheer, which is my connection to France / Belgium. I visited relatives in Belgium which was awesome and they gave me family tree info on the VanHeers going back to royalty! Still haven't inherited a castle yet though.

Personally, both my parents were English born, and I was conceived on British soil but born in NJ USA, so I couldn't be more dual citizenship Married with one son, two dogs in Massachusetts, USA.

Look forward to discussing things!

Paul

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Paul,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Anyone who gets back past 1700 is doing very well, so congratulations.

I've never heard of Manhire as a surname, but a quick check on FreeBMD for 1838-1900 reveals that it's an almost Cornwall-only name, and even into the 1900s it's still mainly Cornwall.

Have you found the Cornwall Online Parish Clerk's site?
    https://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/home/

If you're still stuck on the Manhire's tell us what you know so far, and what details you're still looking for and our sleuths will do what they can to help.
    Added: Not just the Manhire's - any of the other names, too.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks Pam...I'll check that Cornwall site out!

I'll also perhaps start a separate thread on Manhire.

Paul