Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default hello one and all

i am new to all this research and forum stuff, so please bear with me ....i am generally researching family history and i am currently checking a few back stories as it were.
    My first problem to overcome and the need for a question if I may, regards interpreting search results for Samuel Green pre Napoleonic, I see 2 results, 57th foot & 95th rifles, however something in the back of my head tells me the 95th Rifles were not established until 1800. Is this the same chap and then drafted into the 95th Rifles ?
    I had an answer for this then, heeps of many thanks to you.
    Now I have seen the wealth of information, I maybe here for sometime....

sqWark
    Last edited by sqWarkbox; 21-10-2019 at 12:53 AM. Reason: cheap keyboard

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello sqWark,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

If you came to us via Forces War Records, this will tell you the connection.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...rs-Please-Read

It's always best if you tell us where you found your information. Often details are available on more than one site, but the amount of information can vary between the sites.

You need to bear in mind how common a name might be, and in your case, Green is a fairly common surname.

I've found two records for Samuel Green, both relating to the Peninsular Medal Roll, and I would say that they are two different men because they've received different clasps. One having three, the other nine or ten.

I found this about the 57th Foot.
    https://www.nam.ac.uk/explore/57th-w...-regiment-foot
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/57th_(...giment_of_Foot

Searching for 95th Rifles found this (which is probably what you found).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifle_...nsort%27s_Own)

Pam
    a non-expert on military stuff
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Hi sqWark, and welcome to Brit-Gen.

Please, can you say where and approximately when Samuel was born?

Like Pam, I'm no expert on military research, other members have more knowledge than I. An approximate birth year and place will help with the search.
    Alma

Thank you for the clarification, i am still finding my round this and now the sites makes sense.

The chap is samuel green born about 1779, i'll keep digging thanks
    Last edited by sqWarkbox; 21-10-2019 at 8:27 AM. Reason: Typos

Thanks not sure where he was born because i am not sure which chap i am looking for out of the two.

Reputation beyond repute

On the whole, records are best interpreted in conjunction with other records. You need to tell us a lot more than you have told us before we can give any helpful advice.

How do you know he was in the army? What is your earliest definite sighting of him? When approximately was he discharged?

hi peter, I am not specifically chasing this chaps personal life, my query was more aimed at the duplicate records for samuel green enlisting in 1793, one 57th foot the other the 95th rifles,
    There is also a samuel green listed in ships musters who died in 1806, so i am fustly confused how he can have clasps awarded after this date, unless they are regimental clasps not for individuals and perhaps denote length of service. My Second query really in regarding the establishment of the 95th rifles was in 1800 but this chaps enlistment in 1793 ? for instance : there is a samuel green on hms naiad, victory, seagull and probably a few others is this going to be the rifle chap in the marines ....confused hmm....xxx

Reputation beyond repute

I don't see any evidence that they enlisted in 1793.

1793 is an arbitrary date marking Britain's involvement in the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    I don't see any evidence that they enlisted in 1793.

1793 is an arbitrary date marking Britain's involvement in the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars.
    hi peter,
    are you suggesting that forces war records show the date 1793 for both of these chaps, is not an enlistment date for them .....there are other boats showing samuel green ie : hms excellent and hms seagull with dates and i assumed that theses dates associated were depicting the musrer to that boat....therefore assumesd the dates for the rifles and the 57th foot were there enlistment dates....thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sqWarkbox View Post
    however something in the back of my head tells me the 95th Rifles were not established until 1800. Is this the same chap and then drafted into the 95th Rifles ?

sqWark
    Wikipedia says " The Rifle Brigade (The Prince Consort's Own) was an infantry rifle regiment of the British Army formed in January 1800 as the "Experimental Corps of Riflemen" to provide sharpshooters, scouts, and skirmishers. They were soon renamed the "Rifle Corps".
    In January 1803, they became an established regular regiment and were titled the 95th Regiment of Foot (Rifles).
    In 1816, at the end of the Napoleonic Wars, they were again renamed, this time as the "Rifle Brigade".

The Military General Service Medal was only awarded to those still living in 1847 and they had to apply for it. The Samuel Green who served in the 95th Rifles (Rifle Brigade) received this medal (amongst others) so he should be alive in the 1841 census.

There are records on ancestry in the Royal Hospital Chelsea pensioner's Soldier Service records bot not one for a Samuel Green in the 95th Regiment of Foot. There is this one in the 57th though.
    I only have access to the transcript because the original image is only available in Fold 3 for which ancestry charges a separate subscription.
    Private Samuel Green
    Enlisted age 39
    Discharged age 60
    Birth date about 1764
    Born - Bermingham(sic) Warwick
    Enlisted 1803
    Discharged 1824
    Regiment - Fifty Seventh Regt Of Foot

ancestry do have a free library version so your local library may have it and you can see these records for yourself and see if you can sort out who is who.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast