Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1901 Census uk

Loves to help with queries

Default 1901 Census uk

Hi, is anyone able to look up my late Grandmother Catherine Potter in the 1901 Census. I know she married Albert Edwards in Weston Super Mare, Somerset in 1914 but can't find any more information on her before that time. I am particularly interested in where she grew up, was it in Somerset? Many thanks if this is possible

Reputation beyond repute

You need the marriage certificate which will tell you her age (possibly), father's name and occupation and perhaps her current address.

When you have that information. the 1911 census will be a good step.

Super Moderator

Have you got a copy of the marriage certificate? This should give you an age, also an address of where each were living at the time of marriage. It may give her father's name too.

Famous for offering help & advice

As others have said, you really need the information from her marriage certificate.

The 1911 census has a Catherine Potter in Weston-super-Mare who was born in Leamington Spa, but her age was only 14, making her a bit young to be marrying in 1914 - though not impossibly so. But the marriage certificate would help to confirm if this was her.

If you don’t want to take out a subscription to use one of the commercial services such as Ancestry or FindMyPast to search he census, you can always look for likely candidates on FREECEN.

Many thanks, I thought it may be a long shot and a copy of her marriage certificate would be the way to go. All her children, including my Dad has passed away so no copy of the certificate that I know of. Thanks for looking

FMP Civil Marriages

Albert Edwards and Catherine Potter, Mar Qtr 1914, Axbridge, 5c 812

FMP Civil Births
    Agnes I M Edwards, Jun Qtr 1914, Axbridge, 5c 812 - mother's maiden name Potter

There's a Catherine and Agnes I M Edwards on the 1939 register at Weston-S-Mare - but no Albert. Think Agnes' month of birth incorrectly transcribed?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

FMP Civil Births

Michael H Edwards, Dec Qtr 1925, Axbridge, 5c 593 - mother's maiden name Potter.

The 1939 record for Catherine and Agnes also includes a Michael H Edwards - I think the year has been transcribed incorrectly - and month of birth does not "fit" a Dec Qtr registration (tho' DoB's on register are often suspect)?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Thanks for that helachau, I have found my Nan's marriage recorded and, in fact, her husband Albert was killed during WW1 which is why he wasn't found on the 1939 register. Agnes was her first born (and maybe the date is correct and that is why they got married when they did?). Michael would be my Dad's brother although in 1939 there were a few more names including my Dad's that should be included. I will take a look at the 1939 register. I did take a look at the Catherine Potter born in Leamington Spa and I think that may be my Catherine Potter. Her father was James and her grandfather Francis, both these names were used for sons born to her, my Dad being named James. :-) Thanks for the time and effort to help me, much appreciated

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    FMP Civil Births
    Agnes I M Edwards, Jun Qtr 1914, Axbridge, 5c 812 - mother's maiden name Potter

There's a Catherine and Agnes I M Edwards on the 1939 register at Weston-S-Mare - but no Albert. Think Agnes' month of birth incorrectly transcribed?
    Yes, I think it is. What I think I can see in the image is consistent with the birth registration. But I'm glad someone could make out her name in the 1939 register - I'm not sure I'd have got it.

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    FMP Civil Births

Michael H Edwards, Dec Qtr 1925, Axbridge, 5c 593 - mother's maiden name Potter.

The 1939 record for Catherine and Agnes also includes a Michael H Edwards - I think the year has been transcribed incorrectly - and month of birth does not "fit" a Dec Qtr registration (tho' DoB's on register are often suspect)?
    I agree that the year is probably wrong in the 1939 transcription. The month may be correct, given that you have up to 6 weeks in which to register a birth.

Incidentally, I see that the date of birth of Catherine Edwards in 1939 is consistent with the Catherine Potter I found in the 1911 census.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast