Loves to help with queries

Default Name Variants for Augusta Ethel?

My grandmother's sister was named Augusta Ethel Wells at birth in 1895. In 1915 she married Guido Bellini (and had a family) and then in 1949 married Donald A.S. Marsh.

I met her in about 1973-1978. At the time she went by the first name "Addy" or "Addie" (or a phonetic variant) and lived at 7 Crow Hill in Broadstairs, Kent.

I know she's passed on. I've looked for her death records (even a index) and can find nothing.
    I can only suppose that I'm not specifying the name she legally went by at the time of her death.

Has anyone any suggestions for name variants to search?

I don’t know how close to home you have been searching, but certificates record the place of death not the residence. It might be worth checking where the nearest hospital was, and also where here children were living.
    Names on certificates tended to be the more formal (but not always) and depend on who registered the death. If that was a member of hospital staff, they would have given the name they knew her by.

Super Moderator

There is a death record of an Augusta E Marsh in 1959 age 74 registered in Edmonton. If your Augusta was born in 1895 then this may not be her record. She married Guido in West Ham and the family (3 girls ?) were born registered in Wandsworth and Uxbridge. I cannot see a death registration for Guido Bellini.

Donald died in 1957 and is registered in Thanet. He was 71. Any idea what happened to the children?

You probably have this info. already.

Thank you for the suggestions, Lesley, but I don't really know where she actually died. I'll see if I can figure out where the nearest hospital was. But any suggestions for finding a list of hospitals in the Broadstairs area between 1973 and 1995 (if she reached 100)would help. I know that England has the NHS. Perhaps contacting them might help?

I did meet some of the children and grand-children, all girls. So, I'm not quite sure what the married names might be. So finding out their location is not really possible.

I never heard anyone call her by any other name than "Addie" or "Addy". I can't think of any way they got that from "Augusta". That's a mystery that may impact the search.

How about this one?
    Ethel Augusta Marsh
    Death Age 84
    Birth Date 15 Oct 1895
    Registration Date April 1980
    Registration district - Surrey South Western, Surrey
    Volume 17 Page 1362

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thanks for the reply, Sue.

I have the marriage GRO register certificates for her parents and the index entries for birth and death for all her siblings, including the odd GRO register certificates for some.

Having looked at the information, the 1895 date of birth looks pretty solid. That would imply that the, Augusta E Marsh in 1959 age 74 and registered in Edmonton, may not be the right one. (As you note.) However; I've found transcribers making mistakes before, so I'll have a look.

All I have at the moment on Augusta is:

WELLS, Augusta Ethel
    Birth 1895 D QTR
    Reg. CANTERBURY
    vol. 02A, p. 782
    mmn: COLBORNE

BELLINI, Guido (Husband 1)
    Marr. 1915 M QTR
    Reg. W. HAM
    vol. 04A, p. 393

MARSH, Donald A S (Husband 2)
    Marr. 1949 S QTR
    Reg. THANET
    vol. 05B, p. 2057

I'll look at the index entries you noted. There weren't any children from the Marsh marriage as far as I know. I believe there were actually two BELLINI girls, Edwina and Muriel, plus a boy who I think was called Felice. They were all pretty close in age. I think I have a picture of the family in my archives, but I don't think it's labelled. I wouldn't be surprised to also see a Sevario BELLINI pop up. He was, I think, a brother to Guido. One of the BELLINI children had three children, Clare, Paul and a girl who's name I forget.

Yes. This could well be her.
    How did you find it?
    My searches kept coming up negative.

Thank you, Christina.

Now; I need to look at whether to get a FindMyPast subscription.
    Not sure if they have the relevant parish registers online.

Regards;
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    How about this one?
    Ethel Augusta Marsh
    Death Age 84
    Birth Date 15 Oct 1895
    Registration Date April 1980
    Registration district - Surrey South Western, Surrey
    Volume 17 Page 1362

Christina
    I used ancestry and on the Search page went to England and Wales, Birth, Marriage and Death Indexes, 1837-2005 then scrolled down and chose England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1916-2007
    I then entered the surname Marsh with a birth date 1895 +/- 1 year and played around with the names Augusta/ Ethel. if she hadn't shown up using those I would have widened the birth age and then tried Augusta/Addie.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thank you, Christina. I just let my Ancestry membership lapse, because their renewal price was out of my budget. I am considering FindMyPast, which seems slightly more reasonable. The same technique ought to work there.