Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Rev Robert Platt 1795-1876

I have posted this request elsewhere without success and now hoping for more luck.

Robert Platt was born in Oxfordshire, died in Gloucestershire and lies buried in Bath. I have considerable information on his early ministry and am content with what I have up to his appointment to the chaplaincy of Follaton House, Totnes, in 1845. I am now looking for information on the later stages of life. Details on- line are sparse.

In 1851 he was still at Totnes. In 1853 he was appointed a canon of Plymouth Cathedral. He was still "of Totnes". He is recorded as living in Lyme Regis in 1859 and by 1861 he had moved to Cannington, near Bridgwater, Somerset. In 1865 he was taking services at Holy Rood, Swindon and the rate records for the town in 1868/9 name him as "owner" (?) of properties in Swindon. 1871 he was living in Horcott, near Fairford, Gloucestershire. I am confident of his identification on census years as he was accompanied on each occasion by his housekeeper/servant. The other references are unsubstantiated assumptions.

I am looking for help to fill in the gaps and create a more cohesive continuum. Can anyone suggest a useful source, on-line or elsewhere, where the detail I am looking for may be available.

Have you looked for obituaries? Not just in the area where he died, but at his last place as parish Minister.

I am trying to trace any obituaries in the Stoud area, where he died, and in Bath, where he was buried. So far, no luck.
    He would have been 80/81 when he died so possibly no longer active in the ministry. In 1871 he was living in Horcutt, near Fairford, Glos and I presume ministering to Cathlics in that area although I have evidence of that. I have not explored the possibility of any local reports in that area.

Famous for offering help & advice

I was looking at your other thread about Jane Gill and wondered if there might be any clues in Robert Platt's will. The probate index doesn't mention her (but the will might if she'd been a longstanding housekeeper), but it gives more locations for him than you mention above: formerly of Falmouth; afterwards of Swindon; late of Shortwood in the parish of Hinton Bluett, Somerset; died at Prior Park, Bath. It's on the Find a Will site, proved in 1877.

According to Wikipedia, Prior Park was at that date a Roman Catholic grammar school.

I am waiting for a copy of Robert's will and hope it might provide some useful information.

Thank you for confirming the place of his death. I had incorrectly been working in the belief it was Shortwood, near Stroud, Glos.

I think Prior Park was also the residence of the bishop.

lancaster.jim

A useful starting point for Catholic priests ordained before 1914 is two lists published by Downside Abbey. The one of interest in this case is -

“English and Welsh Priests 1801 - 1914, a Working List” compiled by C. Fitzgerald-Lombard, Downside Abbey (1993) (ISBN 0-9502759-8-O)

PLATT, Robert, Clifton Diocese, born Oxfordshire, born 1795, educated in Rome (college not stated), ordained 1824, died 1876

##
    “The Catholic Directory, 1844” Anon. Pub. by Dolman, London, and Jones, London 1844
    [I was unable to find any details of this priest, either in the List of Clergy or in the list of Missions of the Western District, Catholic dioceses were only established in 1851.]

##
    “The Catholic Directory, 1855” Anon. Pub. by Burns, London, 1855, p.84

[Diocese of Plymouth] Follaton House, Totnes, Devonshire (1801) Very Rev. Canon Robert Platt

##
    “The Catholic Directory, 1857” Anon. Pub. by Burns and Lambert, London, 1857, p.99

[Diocese of Plymouth] Follaton House, Totnes, Devonshire (1801) The Very Rev. Canon Robert Platt

##
    “The Catholic Directory, 1859” Anon. Pub. by Burns and Lambert, London, 1859, p.102

[Diocese of Plymouth] Lyme, Dorsetshire. SS Michael and George's (27 Aug 1837) Very Rev. Robert, Canon, Platt

It looks as if Fr Platt changed his diocese ca 1860.

##
    “The Catholic Directory, 1861” Anon. Pub. by Burns and Lambert, London, 1861, p.110

[Diocese of Clifton] Cannington, Bridgewater, Somerset. The Holy Name (1831) Rev. Robert Platt

##
    “The Catholic Directory, 1863” Anon. Pub. by Burns and Lambert, London, 1863, p.92

[Diocese of Clifton] Cannington, Bridgewater, Somerset. The Holy Name (1831) Rev. Robert Platt

##
    “The Catholic Directory, 1874” Anon. Pub. by Burns and Oates, London 1874, p.142

[Diocese of Clifton] Shortwood, Temple Cloud, Bristol. St Michael (May 15, 1806) Rev. Robert Platt

##
    “The Catholic Directory, 1877” Anon. Pub. by Burns and Oates, London, 1877, p.88.

Obituary [List]
    Oct 24, 1876 Rev. Robert Platt Clifton

I see that you have been given a reference to a brief biography. It may be worth contacting the archivist the Dioceses he served to see if they have fuller biographical details. I gather you have been incontact with the Clifton Archivist.

The Archivist,
    Diocese of Plymouth
    St Boniface House
    Ashburton
    Newton Abbot
    TQ13 7JL
    Tel: 01364 645360
    Email: info AT prcdtr DOT org DOT uk
    https://www.plymouth-diocese.org.uk/contact/
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 05-12-2019 at 1:36 AM. Reason: Email address disguised to deter spammers

Many thanks, Jim, for your most helpful response.

I am at present waiting to hear from the assistant archivist of Clifton Diocese who has, apparently, undertaken her own research onto the life of Robert Platt. If that does not materialise I will follow up your suggestion and contact Plymouth Diocese, although what you have given me would suffice.