Thread: Probate?

A gentleman, in every sense of the word. Geoff Wycherley's Avatar

Default Probate?

I have been researching the death of a six year old boy in April 1938. An inquest was carried out as he had fallen and as a result had died. The inquest was carried out a few days later and the burial took place, I have come across searching the Gov site for wills and probate that his father was granted probate for the lads estate in December of that year, the record shows no assets.
    Has any member come across this before in their research, is it something that still happens today?, what is it's purpose, for by the age of the deceased he is/was a minor.

Bear in mind that I have escaped from the Scottish sector... Two questions:
    What was their social level?
    Does the English probate list things as well as money? What would be the position on valuable possessions?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I was wondering if the child had been left money in trust until he was a certain age, usually twenty-one in those days. But if he died before then, the money was re-distributed, so therefore technically wasn't his. e.g. granddad died and his will had said 'I leave one hundred pounds in trust to each of my grandchildren until they are twenty-one. Should any of them die before they reach this age then the money goes to Battersea Dogs home'.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

A gentleman, in every sense of the word. Geoff Wycherley's Avatar

Thank you Ladies for your comments, as always a fountain of knowledge.

The lad in question was playing in the streets near to railway sidings. Finding a door open which lead down to the sidings, by steps, he fell and fractured his skull and as a consequence died. The verdict on the death certificate was Accidental Death.

The family, who are my relatives did not have wealth or expensive possessions, which for the time was normal. My loved one said could there have been compensation paid by the Railway Company concerned for leaving a door opened were people could get access to the siding,or did they have a penny policy on the young lad. It was strange to see that probate had been given on a six year old lad.

I ampopping into Liverpool next week so I will ask at the Records Office if they have come across this before.

Thank you for your help, as always very much appreciated.