Default Good Evening (well in Australia it is)

I have just started researching my family tree and am looking for more information on my Dad and his Dad both with the name William Wilkins (neither has a middle name).
    I'm sure I am not alone here but even though neither talked much about their war experiences, I didn't ask either - and that is my huge regret. I have only snippets. Neither are alive and I have no-one who I can ask. I am now in Australia and although that does not pose a problem with online searches it means I am not able to personally search in the UK.
    I'll start with my Dad. I have an Identity Card issued 22/9/1955 His number is 485464 (although that number is written above 22537630 which is crossed out). I know he severed in West Africa in the R.W.A.F.F. No.1 Bn but I have no further info. I have a couple of group photos dated 1946 from Nagari which I believe is in India.
    I have done a simple search but the number shows no matches and I'm not sure about the regiment/unit. Any help would be most gratefully received. Thanks, Ray
    [IMG]C:\Users\Ray\Documents\Genealogy\Dad's Identity Card.jpg[/IMG]

I don't think the image displayed correctly. I saw a thread telling how to upload images and it said to click on the 'insert image' button then 'Browse' and 'Upload'. However, when I clicked on 'Insert Image' all I get is a URL path to enter and 'OK' and 'Cancel'

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    Unfortunately the site is having difficulties with the upload images function. However in your case it doesn't really matter because there are no service records online for those who served after 1921 in the UK.
    This 'sticky' explains and gives the link from which you can download the application forms for your father's service record. You will need his date of birth and a copy of his death certificate plus a fee of 30 pounds.
    Christina

ps. to upload photos you can use the site Imgur
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thanks Christina.