Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Thanks, Jomot1. Just found it. Still takes two passes, but it's faster than doing 6 individual pages.

Starting to feel at home

Wow...I have been out most of the day running errands. I missed a lot while gone - kudos to everyone for such great research and finds.

I'm putting together a summary chronology (as best I can :>)) of what has been found so far. 62 posts is too much to digest and keep moving forward. I'll post it as soon as I have it done. Hopefully not too long.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their help. I couldn't do this on my own.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by History_Hunter View Post
    Thanks, Jomot1. Just found it. Still takes two passes, but it's faster than doing 6 individual pages.
    Today's top tip.

It doesn't help with printable versions but it does cut down on the number of pages shown in a thread.

In the top banner select 'forum actions', and then 'general settings'.

Scroll down till you come to 'thread display mode', and there's a drop-down box which you probably currently have set to 'forum default', but which you can alter to as many as 40 posts a page.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thanks, Pam. I'll set that up.

As I'm going through the information posted, I came accross the following:

"US Social Security Application record for Rosina Isabel Harris DoB 28 Sep 1886, Rochester, Kent, parents Arthur Colbarne (sic) and Ellen Bull. Social Security No. 082229277. Notes: Nov 1944: Name listed as ROSINA ISABEL HARRIS"

Note that Rosina was born in Chatham, Kent in 1885. The noted record shows Rochester, Kent in 1886.The parents, however, look correct. Also; I am having issues in finding the record on FamilySearch to review the content.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by History_Hunter View Post
    As I'm going through the information posted, I came accross the following:

"US Social Security Application record for Rosina Isabel Harris DoB 28 Sep 1886, Rochester, Kent, parents Arthur Colbarne (sic) and Ellen Bull. Social Security No. 082229277. Notes: Nov 1944: Name listed as ROSINA ISABEL HARRIS"

Note that Rosina was born in Chatham, Kent in 1885. The noted record shows Rochester, Kent in 1886.The parents, however, look correct. Also; I am having issues in finding the record on FamilySearch to review the content.
    I think it's only available on Ancestry.
    I don't know about in Canada, but in the UK Ancestry is often free in the local (town) library. May also be available at a local LDS FHC.

However, you should be able to search the dataset for free on Ancestry, which will then give you details about the records and how you can access them in greater detail because all that Ancestry have is a basic transcription. No image is available.
    This is the dataset you want - U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007

As regards Chatham/Rochester, they are next to each other on the map. Rosina's birthplace shows Chatham in the 1901 and 1911 censuses, and she could have been born there. (You'll need her birth certificate to prove it.) But when asked 'where were you born?' most people would reply with the place they first remember living. And Rochester may have been that place. I can't find Rosina in 1891, and in 1901 she, her mum, and a couple of siblings were living in Richmond, Surrey. RG13/674 folio 105 page 20.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thanks, Pam. My UK geography is not the best. I'll have to go to the library and look at the SSN database. I tried a few other sources like FamilySearch and GenealogyBank without success.

Here are the references I have for Rosina in 1891, 1901 and 1911. She doesn't appear anywhere outside that range.

Key:
    Image reference
    Place (City, County, State, etc.)
    Place Details (Address or House Name)
    Role
    Marital Status
    Age/Birthdate
    Occupation
    Birthplace

Data:
    RG12_Pc-708_Fo-33_Pg-6
    Canterbury, Kent
    54 St. George's St.
    Daughter
    (blank marital status)
    5 [10 October 1887?]
    (blank occupation)
    Chatham, Kent

SRYRG13_673_674-0450.jpg
    Richmond, Surrey
    St. Hilda, Hermitage Rd.
    Daughter
    Single
    "Nil" (Occupation)
    Chatham, Kent

Rg14_06813_0207_03
    St. Margarets, Middlesex
    46 Gordon Avenue
    Visitor
    Married [1yr, name now WEST]
    Private Means
    Chatham, Kent

I don't think this 1940 census has been mentioned previously?

Riverside Drive, New York.
    Robert Harris, 52, born Pennsylvania, steward in hotel
    Rosina Harris, 49, born England.
    Rosina, wrong age, right person? I think it's her, she either doesn't want to admit to her true age or she's lost count
    Alma

There's a passenger arrival list which could be Rosina.

Ship: Lancastria arrived Puerto Rica 26th Aug 1931
    Rose Harris age 40, born 28 Sept 18?? (last two numbers have ink blots)
    Robert Harris age 45, born 3rd Dec 1887

The social security application record posted by Jomot at post #7 mentions a birth date of 28th Sept 1886. However, Robert's birth date doesn't agree with other records which give the date 22nd Nov 1887
    Alma

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast