Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

One poss thought I had about their trip to Puerto Rico in 1931 - Rosina's husband John Glegg was a British subject, born in the "British West Indies" or BWI as listed on his and Rosina's marriage info. from New York in 1925.

Perhaps Rosina and Robert Harris travelled to Puerto Rico and then onto either one or both of the British islands of St. Kitts and St. John's - the purpose being for Rosina to obtain a divorce from John Glegg (perhaps bec he was a British subject, a divorce filing had to be made in a British territory). I have seen online info. connecting John Glegg to both islands.

Just a thought?

Loves to help with queries

Interesting... I wonder if there is a database of divorces for that region...

Well, I guess that's why they advise the recording of "negative evidence". Trying too find someone and not being able to do so is still valuable. I'm still a bit puzzled by John West disappearing so completely. I don't believe I saw him in any census after he and Rosina appeared to have parted ways. What did she do... bury him in the basement? :>)

Jomot1;
    I hope I didn't unintentionally come across in a negative way. I really appreciate your help. I'm just a bit spooked by having so many loose ends in play. For me, my personal response to this sort of situation is to back up and test each piece of evidence to ensure it's valid.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by History_Hunter View Post
    Jomot1;
    For me, my personal response to this sort of situation is to back up and test each piece of evidence to ensure it's valid.
    I completely agree with taking this approach, but it isn't always possible to do it chronologically, and sometimes the later information helps resolve an earlier conundrum.

Research in the US can also be very frustrating, as there are all sorts of documents in state and county archives that never make it online.

I went to the library today to use the Ancestry LibraryEdition.
    I looked at the records that have been discussed, to the extent they are available on Ancestry.

1) There were umpteen people with the names in question in the new york census for the years that I could see on Ancestry. The important part is that I didn't see Rosina and John R West or John F. H. Glegg together. There were lots of entries for the persons individuals involved, but they were either separate or clearly not the people we wanted to see.

2) The "New York, New York, Marriage License Indexes, 1907-2018" is one that I looked at on Archive.org.
    On a second look, it is clear that it is showing:
    Glegg, John F. H., Vol. 11, Page -, No. 27307. Oct 3 1925 (Note: F. H.)
    Colb[o/a]rn, Rosina, Vol. 11, Page -, No. 27307. Oct 3 1925 (Note: Suspect "o" is the correction of "a")
    So there is a marriage between two people of the noted names, but in pouring over the census entries of the time, the names were not uncommon in the area. Note that the index does not give other family members that would help support that this is the right couple.

3) The "U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007" showing "Rosina Isabel Harris" was the most substantial piece of evidence so far. But it raises some interesting questions:
    a)Is the listed name and date referring to her registration or her death
    (i.e. Nov 1944: Name listed as ROSINA ISABEL HARRIS)
    b) Why are her parents, which appear to be correct, listed as "Household Members"?
    They definitely weren't living together.
    I have the UK records from their birth to their death. They were in the U.K.
    c) The birth date is very close, but appears to be one year too late. I think someone slipped a digit.
    d) The birthplace is correct.

Here's the info:

U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
    Name: Rosina Isabel Harris
    Race: White
    Birth Date: 28 Sep 1886
    Birth Place: Rochester Ke, United Kingdom Arthur Colbarne
    Father: Arthur Colbarne
    Mother: Ellen Bull
    SSN: 082229277
    Notes: Nov 1944: Name listed as ROSINA ISABEL HARRIS
    Household Members:
    Name Age
    Arthur Colbarne
    Ellen Bull
    Rosina Isabel Harris

I looked at the records that have been discussed, to the extent they are available on Ancestry.

1) There were umpteen people with the names in question in the new york census for the years that I could see on Ancestry. The important part is that I didn't see Rosina and John R West or John F. H. Glegg together. There were lots of entries for the persons individuals involved, but they were either separate or clearly not the people we wanted to see.
    Sorry, but I dont understand this comment. The census years showing Rosina living with John West and then John Glegg have been posted on this thread. 1915 & 1920 with John West and 1925 in same household as John Glegg. I cant find a way to attach images for 1915 and 1925, but here are Rose & John R West in 1920: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MJBF-5S6

As regards 'Household Members' in point 3, it seems to me that this is a field created by Ancestry as a 'catch all'. Without seeing the original you don't know the original field name(s).

Also regards point 3, no, it doesnt relate to her death as it isnt the Social Security Death Index.

To add to Jomot's post and I fully agree with her comments.

2) The "New York, New York, Marriage License Indexes, 1907-2018" is one that I looked at on Archive.org.
    On a second look, it is clear that it is showing:
    Glegg, John F. H., Vol. 11, Page -, No. 27307. Oct 3 1925 (Note: F. H.)
    Colb[o/a]rn, Rosina, Vol. 11, Page -, No. 27307. Oct 3 1925 (Note: Suspect "o" is the correction of "a")
    So there is a marriage between two people of the noted names, but in pouring over the census entries of the time, the names were not uncommon in the area. Note that the index does not give other family members that would help support that this is the right couple.
    As the marriage you mention is an index you need to buy the marriage certificate to see full details.

wilson8 posted details of the marriage from the family search site at #23, there's more information than is on the Ancestry transcription, it mentions Rosina's parents' names: father Arthur; mother Ellen Brill, Brill could be what the transcriber saw on the record but doesn't mean it does say Brill, the handwriting may not have been very clear and could say BULL.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:247J-77B
    Alma

As I noted:
    I may be able to find out more when I go to the Family History Centre, but at the moment, I was just giving an overview of what I was able to verify at the moment. It will be a few weeks before I can get to the FHC. It's a bit of a trip.

I am aware that some of the information is from indices. Getting certificates is not an overnight task.

That's the point - the census are available on Ancestry. I linked the familysearch one to show it was there, the 1915 and 1925 aren't on FS, but they are on Ancestry.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast