Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I've just come back to this thread to resume the search and wow!

Well done Jomot
    Alma

Famous for offering help & advice

Unfortunately she's proving harder to find inbetween! She may be the Rosina Harris in Saskatchewan, Canada in 1916, aged 31, born England, immigrated 1910. If so she's with husband George E Harris 34 b England immigrated 1906, and son Laurence George Harris aged 2 born Saskatchewan. The only problem is there is a sister-in-law (to George) named Florence Viney aged 28, b England, immigrated 1912.

ADDED: Scrap that. This Rosina died in Canada in 1947, full name listed as Rosina Jane Harris, maiden name Viney
    Last edited by Jomot1; 18-10-2019 at 3:51 AM. Reason: added info

Loves to help with queries

Thank you, I’ll see if I can find the voyage of the majestic and trace the additional info you noted. I have solid contacts in Saskatchewan who might be able to help.

Ok. I see that you think the Canadian Rosina is not the one, but I assume that there may still be one in the States.

Famous for offering help & advice

Ancestry also has a record for her in the U.S. Naturalization Record Indexes, 1791-1992.

Rosina Isabel Harris
    Court District: New York
    No year given unfortunately, but there is a number that may help - 548432

This looks like her.

Southampton to New York on the ship St Paul, arrival date 25th May 1911

Rosa West age 25, married, housewife, mother Ellen Colborne, 46, Garden Ave. Destination New York.
    Alma

There is a Rose West on the New York 1915 census, born abt. 1886 England, her husband is John West age 41 an auto salesman born. Rose had been in US 7yrs.

And in 1920, West 136, Manhattan Assembly District 13, New York,
    John R West 46, born Michigan, a merchant.
    Rose West 34, born England
    Alma

Jomot1;
    I just realized that whatever explanation is developed needs to also address Rosina Isabel West visiting her mother in the 1911 British Census. If her married name was Harris, how is she shown as West in the census? Something odd here, but I can’t explain it.

Quote Originally Posted by History_Hunter View Post
    Jomot1;
    I just realized that whatever explanation is developed needs to also address Rosina Isabel West visiting her mother in the 1911 British Census. If her married name was Harris, how is she shown as West in the census? Something odd here, but I can’t explain it.
    History Hunter, Have you missed #16 and #17? I think Rosina must have married twice, first to a Mr West and later to Mr Harris.
    Alma

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    There is a New York passenger list in 1910 for Rosina I Colborne (transcribed on Ancestry as Rosina S Colborne and on FMP as Rosina I Calbourne) aged 25, nearest relative or friend in UK: Ellen Colbourne, 46 Garden Avenue, St Margaret (the same address as the 1911 census. Going to Mrs Bernard Sain?, Sister?, 351 E 57th St New York.

ADDED: Still looking for Rosina but Florence Colborn married John B Saur in 1908, Manhattan
    So, doing the maths, Rosina arrived in New York on 21 April 1910. Had a whirlwind romance with a Mr West, got married in the US (highly likely NY), and came back to England to show off her wedding ring and possibly a photo of hubby to mum and sister Frances.
    The UK 1911 census was held on the night of Sunday 2 April which fits Alma's find in post #16
    Southampton to New York on the ship St Paul, arrival date 25th May 1911

Rosa West age 25, married, housewife, mother Ellen Colborne, 46, Garden Ave. Destination New York.
    Following Alma's 1920 census find in post #17, you're looking for (posssibly NY) marriage between a John West and Rosina Colborne in 1910 or early 1911.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast