Default RAF Leconfield - Canadian No6 Squadron

I'm trying to find out information on my Grandfather.

My dad says he thinks he was based out of RAF Leconfield in East Yorkshire during WW2, but was only there a short time before being sent to Canada to train.

I've found Canadian No6 Squadron was part of the British Commonwealth Training Plan, or 'The Plan', based out of 4 bases in Canada, and that it was probablt Toronto, Ontario where he was based, as he was thought to have stayed with family living in Canada.

My dad has 2 photo's of his dad and no back history, and would love to be able to find out more about his dad. He has no Service Record No either, which is obviously limiting the search.

Any help or pointers as to where to look greatly appreciated. I'm a little hesitant to use the massive paid services, due to the lack of info i can provide.

Thanks

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

HI, and welcome to British-Genealogy.

I'm assuming that in spite of training in Canada your grandfather was in the RAF, and if so his records are still held by the Ministry of Defence.

Details of how to apply, with links to the forms you need, can be found here.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...757#post585757
    You will need his birth date (the form says either birth date or service number, a copy of his death certificate, and a cheque for thirty quid. You do need to be aware that the amount of information available could be quite small, or it could be quite large.

If you don't have a copy of the death certificate, then you need to apply to the GRO. In spite of the Passport Office heading, this is the correct link.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Welcome in, Mikehill66.
    Don't forget that if your Dad wants to know about his Father's pre-service life, we can help you with that. Just choose a suitable forum and ask!