Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default John Talbot died 1845 Donhead St Mary Wilts

I'm searching for the birth of John Talbot. The 1841 UK Census states that he was born outside Wiltshire in about 1782. A search of Ancestry.co.uk and the online Dorset parish registers has not produced any likely candidates. Dorset is the closest county to where he lived. When John died he owned several properties in Donhead St Mary and left several thousands of pounds in bequests. But their is no record of him in the Wiltshire or Dorset archives. A relative of mine in Australia put a family tree up on Ancestry stating that John was born in Jamaica but without any evidence to support that. I've been unable to contact my relative and suspect he may have died.
    I'd be grateful for any help or suggestions
    Many thanks
    Andrew

Super Moderator

Any ideas if he married? If so his wife's name or names of children? If you have a will there may be names of children as beneficiaries. You might be able to find them on census returns. I just looked at the 1841 census, is his wife Eliza? and two children Sophia and John? Found John on the 1851 as a Draper's Assistant. Doesn't help much though.

FMP has the baptisms (image/transcription) of -
    Ann Sophia Talbot, 17 Feb 1822, Donhead St Mary, parents John and Ann.
    John Talbot, born 21 July 1832, bap. 26 Aug 1832, Donhead St Mary, denom. Independent, parents John and Ann
    Eliza Talbot, born 31 Jul 1820, bap 7 Aug 1820, Donhead St Mary, denom. Independent, parents John and Ann
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Knowledgeable and helpful

This is a case where you need access to Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, in order to use other records for Donhead St Mary. There is definitely non-conformity in that part of the county. Many years ago, I constructed a family tree into the 18th century for a local family using other records as they didn't appear in C of E records. Try wills (including PCC), land records and manorial records for starters. pwholt

In #2 his wife is named as Eliza and in #3 as Ann (assuming they relate to the same John Talbot).

This might be completely off the mark but Family Search has the marriage between John Talbot and Eliza Rial, 10 Sept 1825, Sutton Waldron, Dorset. Interestingly the entry for the groom's parents is blank.

Don't tell me. The parents wouldn't be named anyway. Stupid comment.

Quote Originally Posted by brentor boy View Post
    In #2 his wife is named as Eliza and in #3 as Ann (assuming they relate to the same John Talbot).
    The Eliza in #2, age 20 on the Census, is the Eliza listed at #3 - bap 1820. John Talbot is aged 60 on the '41 Census. The 3 baptisms at #3 fit the '41 Census - apart from Ann Sophia being recorded as Ann only.

Have just looked at 1841. Looks more likely that Eliza is John's daughter.

P S Just ignore all my contributions. I think I'll go back to bed!

Think I might join you - separate beds of course!!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default John Talbot died 1845 Donhead St Mry

Quote Originally Posted by suemalings View Post
    Any ideas if he married? If so his wife's name or names of children? If you have a will there may be names of children as beneficiaries. You might be able to find them on census returns. I just looked at the 1841 census, is his wife Eliza? and two children Sophia and John? Found John on the 1851 as a Draper's Assistant. Doesn't help much though.
    Hi Sue and everyone else whose responded. John married twice:
    First wife was Dove Blandford from Donhead St Mary, Wiltshire(1783-1816)He had 2 children with Dove, Anna and Dove.
    Second wife was Ann Witherington from Sixpenny Handley Dorset. He had 3 children with her
    Eliza, Ann Sophia, and John, whose the draper's assistant. John's son, also called John had a daughter, Julia Anne, who was was my great grandmother. Both me, my father and paternal grandfather have the middle name Talbot after her.
    I've checked the Sixpenny Handley parish registers but no record of John Talbot being from there.
    John, son of John and Ann Witherington was living in Wyke Regis Dorset in 1871. I've checked the Wyke Regis parish registers and there was a John baptised there in 1782, which fits the John who died in 1845 whom I'm looking for but it's probably not him as there's a John Talbot buried in Wyke Regis in 1862 aged 79 which is probably the John born there in 1782.
    Sorry this is so long but hopefully it'll help people come up with ideas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast