Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Indian Troop Ship from Tilbury 24 Oct 1919

Hi, we are just coming up to the Centenary of my Grandparents travelling to India after my Grandfather re-joined the Army following the Great War. His Service records show they left for Bombay from Tilbury on 24 Oct 1919. I’m struggling to find which troop ship they would have been on. Any pointers most welcome.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Squidlet,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

I know that in 1901 at least one of the daily newspapers used to report on which ships had left which ports as I was able to follow my grandfather's journey on HMS Centurion from China back to the UK.
    Unfortunately I can't remember which newspaper it was.
    I was lucky in that I knew the name of the ship so was able to search for the name, whereas you're going to have to do it in reverse, i.e. by looking at a newspaper for that and the following day/two days (in case a Saturday or Sunday is involved).

The newspaper might have been The Times, and The Times Digital Archive is often available for free at your local library. You may have to get a library ticket, but then you can often access the TDA at home.
    You should get a result searching for Tilbury.

Bear in mind that the ship may have been calling at other ports on the way to Bombay, so if it stopped in Malta, you then have to search for the Malta - Bombay departure.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Forget to add:
    If there's no luck with The Times, then try the British Newspaper Archive. I think you can have three free 'looks'.
    https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/
    I would start with the day after they sailed (though check which day of the week they sailed first) and select a result for a daily paper, rather than a local paper unless it's one specific to the Tilbury area.
    All of the BNA except the latest updates is also available on Findmypast.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Reputation beyond repute

Both the Times and the Outward Passenger Lists mention only one vessel leaving London on 24 Oct 1919 for Bombay and Calcutta - the Sardinia. That's not a troop ship though.

I don't think I'd expect troopships to be recorded in that sort of source.

If you have his papers are you prepared to disclose the Regt/Battalion/etc. he may have belonged to?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Peter, my other searches had brought up only the Sardinia. Clearly, my grandparents, uncle and aunt are not on the passenger list. So might just have to let this one go. The (enlarged) family returned on the City of Marseilles - that one was fairly easy given the painting that my cousin inherited. The trip out must have been secluded enough for my grandparents as my next aunt arrived 8 months after disembarkation!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Pam, thank you. I've registered with and am on the BNA at the moment.