Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Virile Farm is shown on this map:

https://maps.
    nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=50.9094&lon=3.0069&layers=101464870&b =1

In square 29, northwest of the Vindictive crossroads, which are on the Passchendaele – Westroosebeke road.

Peter

Knowledgeable and helpful

I should have added, if you reduce the opacity of the overlay, you will see the 'farm' as it is today.

Peter

Thanks Peter,

I was looking completely in the wrong area more towards Spree Farm.

This has started to clear up a few issues we have with the family history for Wilfred Lomas. When we wrote to the DLI museum in the mid 1980s they provided transcripts of the days around Wilfred's death and not much more. This placed him near Spree farm, hence my avatar. Now that I own a set of war diaries and with provided assistance places him near Virile Farm and the Goudberg Spur. This will tie in with the letter received by his widow in 1922 (letter went missing late 1970s) that his body had been exhumed and re-interned at PoelKappelle. It is at this point he went missing and is only remembered at Tyne Cot. Mum thinks there was a grave reference but cannot be completely sure. She remembers PoelKappelle and some letters and numbers but that is all. Given that others of "A" Coy killed around 15 - 20 Dec 1917 have also been interned there gives weight to the strong possibility he is there as one of the unknown. I asked CWGC if they had records of where bodies were recovered from and alas they said no. Unless anyone knows different? Once any may thanks for your assistance. David
    Last edited by Spree Farm; 06-11-2019 at 1:25 AM. Reason: Typo

Famous for offering help & advice

The only thing I have found about burials is a document from around a week later (it appears to be signed 25 Dec 1917 but one of the appendices makes reference to 'today' with 20 Dec then in brackets). This is from the Divisional HQ Diary for the 14th Division - on Ancestry as Piece 1873/1-3, image 596.

This states that the burial staff is 1 officer & 2 other ranks and is based at Wieltje. It is responsible for keeping order at Wieltje and St Jean military cemeteries. As far as possible bodies were to be brought back to Wieltje Cemetery. If this is impossible then they are buried and disks placed to mark the graves.

Hi Peter,

Many thanks, once again I am indebted to your wealth of knowledge. From the records I have there were no burials from 10 DLI at either cemetery. The records I have are show the burials for this period were at:

NINE ELMS BRITISH CEMETERY
    TYNE COT CEMETERY
    POELCAPELLE BRITISH CEMETERY
    OXFORD ROAD CEMETERY
    LIJSSENTHOEK MILITARY CEMETERY

and remembered at TYNE COT MEMORIAL.

I found two more missing names last night 2Lt's Yellowlee and Stephenson to add to my growing list, still need to research them though. They might even be D&D LI as they had two secondments from them on the 13 Dec.

On a foot note a further 70 former members of 10 DLI went on to be killed after the disbandment in Feb 1918.

Regards

David

Famous for offering help & advice

You're welcome, but I'm not Peter

so sorry my apologies

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Spree Farm View Post
    Hi,

I am collecting records and details of any serving member of my late great grandfather Battalion the 10th DLI 1915 - 1920 both of those that were killed and those who served and went onto serve with other Battalions after disbandment in February 1918. So far I have managed to find the names of 1600 officers and men from this period.

I have gaps to fill where I have only surnames (approx 168) or missing numbers(less than 10)

If anyone is interested or in assisting in the missing or can provide additional info I would love to hear from you

David
    Hi David

My great great uncle Edwin Brettell

1894–1916
    Birth JULY 10, 1894 • Darlington, Durham, England
    Death 16 SEP 1916 • Gird Lines near Gueudecourt, France

Enlisted as a Private with the 4th Battalion of the Durham Light Infantry. Regimental Number: 31849. Fought in France with the 10th Battalion.

He served in the military on 24 April 1916 in Seaham, Durham, when he was 21 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Stamford View Post
    Hi David

My great great uncle Edwin Brettell

1894–1916
    Birth JULY 10, 1894 • Darlington, Durham, England
    Death 16 SEP 1916 • Gird Lines near Gueudecourt, France

Enlisted as a Private with the 4th Battalion of the Durham Light Infantry. Regimental Number: 31849. Fought in France with the 10th Battalion.

He served in the military on 24 April 1916 in Seaham, Durham, when he was 21 years old.
    Hi Stamford.

Many thanks for the information I have added it to my data base. It is interesting to not that Edwin was killed 1 year to the day of my GGF 16/12. Since I last posted I have increased my data base somewhat and have now listed some 29000 members of the DLI for this period and expected to peak at around 60000 Regards David

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123