Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 10th Durham Light Infantry

Hi,

I am collecting records and details of any serving member of my late great grandfather Battalion the 10th DLI 1915 - 1920 both of those that were killed and those who served and went onto serve with other Battalions after disbandment in February 1918. So far I have managed to find the names of 1600 officers and men from this period.

I have gaps to fill where I have only surnames (approx 168) or missing numbers(less than 10)

If anyone is interested or in assisting in the missing or can provide additional info I would love to hear from you

David

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.
    That looks like an interesting project - what is happening to the data you're collecting?

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.
    That looks like an interesting project - what is happening to the data you're collecting?
    Hi Lesley,

It is a very interesting project and yes something should be done with the information. I hoped I would be able to use it to correct the CWGC records but when I offered the information collated they wanted just more than the references to record collection and obituaries. They requested birth certificates , census reports and copies of the military records, grandma spare teeth and the list went on. Originally they (CWGC) provided me with 742 name of which 204 had missing or incorrect details, I have managed to find record links to most of these men. I also provide information to Forces War Records with similar response.

Some of the errors are simple; for example '9558' Cook, W - PTE can also be found as '4/9588' and 4-9558 depending how the record was recorded or how the electronic scanner read the script. This then provided William with a name for the first time since his death on 19/01/1916.

I have started to provide the North East war Memorial web site with information and are collaborating with others in the UK, but as a long term plan I haven't decided but I am open to suggestions.

Regards

David

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Just a thought, but does the DLI have a regimental museum and if so, they might find a good home for your work. I lodged some stuff with the Dorset's Museum which they added to their collection.
    Peter
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by peter nicholl View Post
    Just a thought, but does the DLI have a regimental museum and if so, they might find a good home for your work. I lodged some stuff with the Dorset's Museum which they added to their collection.
    Peter
    Hi Peter

Unfortunately the Durham Light Infantry (DLI) Museum shut four years ago as part of the county council's cost-cutting measures. It is sad but a sign of the times. One day it will find a home- when it is ready to be found.

David

Have you looked for an association for them? As numbers fall, many of the regimental associations have combined forces, so it might be worth checking for an Infantry association as well.

Hi

Co-curate in UK have assisted me in publish to information for people to access.

co-curate.ncl.ac.uk/10th-dli

Regards
    Last edited by Lesley Robertson; 14-10-2019 at 7:01 AM. Reason: URL deactivated in accordance with our toc

Famous for offering help & advice

I thought the DLI Museum Collection was now housed - although not displayed - at Spennymoor?

One place worth considering in future is the Don War Memorial Bar, currently in Stockton-on-Tees (Durham) but moving soon to Thornaby (just across the Durham/Yorkshire border), where it will also house a military museum. If you haven't come across it, it's an amazing place with all kinds of military memorabilia, not just DLI.

Many thanks for the info, I am happy to share the info with anyone as long as it is not for profit. I would love visit these places but now live in Australia but hope to come back next year for a tour of Flanders and the Durham area.

One of the soldiers I am having tracing any details at all is Sgt E.F Murray (no reg number) buried BROOKWOOD CEMETERY grave Q. 174642 died 30/09/1914 CWGC ref 402197. Anyone any idea?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast