Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

According to the soldiers effects records he died at Woking, which is where the 10th moved after formation at at Newcastle on 22 August 1914. No next of kin listed & I cant see a will for him either.

I cant see an army death record that matches, and the only two in the Guildford RD (which covers Woking) are Charles aged 25 & Frederick aged 34. Not much help really!
    Last edited by Jomot1; 03-11-2019 at 4:05 AM. Reason: wrong info

Many thanks, that is more information than I had yesterday. Initials E F he may have gone with his second name Fredrick. Where do I find the soldier effects record please?

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

On Ancestry

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Famous for offering help & advice

It may not help as it doesn't say that names are included, but Durham Records Office has photographs of the Sergeants of the 10th at Woking in September 1914:

Photographs of the 10th Battalion, First World War, 1914 - 1918 (Ref: D/DLI 2/10/10(1)-12)
    Ref: D/DLI 2/10/10(1)
    Group photograph of sergeants of the 10th and 11th Battalion, The Durham Light Infantry, Woking, Surrey, September 1914

Ref: D/DLI 2/10/10(2)
    Group photograph of sergeants of the 10th and 11th Battalion, The Durham Light Infantry, Woking, Surrey, September 1914

Ref: D/DLI 2/10/11
    Group photograph of sergeants [10th or 11th] Battalion, The Durham Light Infantry, Woking, Surrey, 1914

Hi, Many thanks. I am still new to this military research so any advice is helpful. I still have details of 200 ish with incomplete forenames out of the 1598 men I have listed which I think is not too bad for 12 months work. I have seen the photos of the sgts at Woking and often wondered who each were.

Point of interest my great uncle on my mothers side John Loma, married a Belgium refugee Celina Maria Felicia Desramault, and after the war he returned with her to Ypres and helped rebuild it. He did a lot of work in the cathedral and help rebuild the hotel Sint Niklaas where they live and sold tea and cakes to the pilgrims to the battlefields.

Sorry typo should be John Lomas

Loves to help with queries

Hi
    Where did your John Lomas come from?
    My paternal grandfather had a brother John 1872-1953.
    Every generation seems to have had a John and we don't have children's names or records for any of his other brothers.

Hi,

The Lomas I refer too originates in Tideswell, Derbyshire and surrounding district. John died in 1940 I believe. There were so many Lomas in the district, that they even had a local football team in 1912 (have photo) that all the players had the surname Lomas. It appears that there was a rift sometime around then and the all the clan disowned each other. One of the clan was the WO (Sherwood Foresters) who said ready, aim, fire when they executed the Dublin uprising ring leaders. Sadly he was killed a year later on the Somme. Happy to help on our side. By the way the Lomas also went under the name Kallere, Kaleare and variation of the spelling. Regards David

Loves to help with queries

Hi
    Our Lomas's are all Lancashire based, mainly around Burnley.

Hi

Whilst I am on line please could someone point me in the direction of Virile Farm and trench No 6 circa 13 - 20 Dec 1917 as I believe my GGF was in the area when he was killed. I am also looking to find where A coy 10 DLI were between the 13 and 19. I have the war diaries but they are a little bit vague. Many thanks David

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast