Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default George PERNAROWSKI 1887 - 1944

I have a step Grandfather Georges Pernarowski who was said to be from Lithuania/Russian, was killed in the second world war 26 Aug 1944, he was born 29 Oct 1887, he lived with my Nan in Newport South Wales.

Robert Purnell

Super Moderator

George is showing on the 1939 register at 47 Thompson St,Barry. His is listed as being born on 29/10/1887 and is a A.B. Seaman.

Other people living at that address are also working on a ship except Kristian Karlsen who is listed as being a Ships Foreman but now incapacitated.

Re. the name Pernarowski already mentioned, FindMypast has a number of records for a George/s Pernarowski, one of which gives an 1887 birth year (the 1939 register), while the others give 1888.

There are 3 merchant seaman records, one of which includes a photo.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Hi Suemalings and helachau, I know he was not at my Nans house on the 1939 Census, and interestingly, she has the Name PURNELL not PERNAROWSKI, I know they married in Cardiff 1920, perhaps they split up, she deffinitely claimed her War pension as Mrs Florence Pernarowski, and had his Medals, could you both let me see the records you have found, I would be most gratefull.

Robert Purnell

See National Archives UK-Naturalisation Certificate George Pernarowski from Lithuania resident Barry Dock,Glamorgan -wife Florence Date 9 March 1937 HO334/145/9891
    See also his service records from 1915 and WW2 1944-45 where he is still called George Pernarowski

The Naturalisation Certificate may or may not contain information on his parents and the area they lived in.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

For Moderators and other researchers -see BG Forum Thread MERCHANT NAVY RECORDS started 22.04.2010 where there are various messages regarding George Pernarowki including those from Robert who posted this thread. It would prove useful to provide the link to prevent duplication of data.

As you suggested Philip here is the thread from 2010
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...t-Navy-Records
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Firstly, many thanks to Philip for remembering the old thread, and secondly to Christina for finding it.

Robert's first post in this thread threatened to derail another poster's query so I have removed all the posts which referenced George to this thread.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

For other researchers- see Familysearch website (Latter Day Saints) -this has New York Passenger List 1941 for George Pernarowski age 51 Merchant seaman Lithuanian born Kovono British Subject Passenger in transit from NY to UK on Empress of Asia

Nb This site has a further genealogy tree for George Pernarowski submitted by Victor Purnell 26 Sept 2018. This tree has him married to a Louisa Florence SPECK 1874-1960 plus her ancestry.
    For clarification, the GRO Marriage Index has George Pernarowski marriiage to Florence BUTCHER Cardiff Glamorganshire Jan qtr 1920 11a 725

If Victor Purnell is related to Robert who posted on the line then clarification is needed regarding whether or not Goeorge separated or divorced Florence and re- married to a Louisa Speck.

Hi Phillip, Victor Purnell is indeed my cousin, without going into a very long story, we have recently found out that my Nan Florence ruby Couxe or Cox, Florence Ruby Butcher ( first marriage to George Arthur Butcher ) Florence Ruby Purnell ( partner of John Purnell, cant find a marriage) Florence Ruby Pernarowski (last marriage to George Pernarowski ) and Louisa Florence Speck, are one and the same person, her father disappeared when she was young about 4 years old, her mother was ill, she is down as a fostered child in the 1881 Census, and I think she was then brought up in childrens homes, when she first married she used her mother maiden name of Cox, told lies of her age and even changed her given name, in the 1901 Census she states she was born Marseille France, but she was born in Bath, her age through out her life went up or down to suit the occasion, what a very mysterious women, I think it was all about survival.