Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Canadian searching for Great Grandfather

I am relatively new to genealogy, having begun a couple years ago with Ancestry.ca, where I was able to do fairly well tracing my family tree. As a child and young adult, I often heard tales of my great grandfather, Charles Tingey, who had allegedly abandoned my great grandmother, Caroline Tingey, and their many children, to return to England at the turn of the 19th century. Being the romantic in the family, I refused to believe he would do such a thing, and began searching for him, knowing only that he left Canada sometime between 1901 and 1911, bound for England we think, and that he sent a letter home from Ceylon in 1931, with direction to send correspondence to an address in Manchester, England. He would have been almost 80 at the time, having been born in 1852 in Luton. I've been unable to find a date of death for him, nor ship logs revealing his arrival in England from Canada, nor the reason why he would have been in Ceylon! I never realized there were so many Tingeys in England. I am intrigued and excited to learn more. Any ideas on where to go from here would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums Valerie
    Once family stories get a grip on us they won't let go will they? Trying to prove/disprove them can take up a good few years of our lives.
    I have moved your post from the Introduce yourself forum to the Lancashire forum where it will attract more attention and you have given us enough detail to start the search I think. If not we will ask.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Ok I am back

Do you have Charles on any UK census? Who are his parents? Did he marry in England or in Canada? Do you know when he arrived in Canada? Where abouts in Canada did he and his family live? Names, ages and where born for children?
    As you say the Tingey/Tingay name is not as uncommon as we would expect.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Do you have Charles' birth certificate?
    If not, and you know for definite that he was born in 1852 in Luton, then you need to send for his birth certificate. Seven pounds for a no-frills PDF black-and-white copy which which tell you the names of his parents, plus a few other details. Ignore the 'Passport Office' heading - this is the correct link.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

I have a feeling that his parents might be William and Charlotte (nee Brown) who in the 1851 census are living in Ampthill (also in Bedfordshire) with William's parents.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Have you tried to see who lived at that Manchester address?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Hunting Charles Tingey

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Ok I am back

Do you have Charles on any UK census? Who are his parents? Did he marry in England or in Canada? Do you know when he arrived in Canada? Where abouts in Canada did he and his family live? Names, ages and where born for children?
    As you say the Tingey/Tingay name is not as uncommon as we would expect.
    Christina
    Hello, Christina. Thank you so much for your reply and I do apologize for my delay in reading it! I have alot of material on my family tree in Ancestry.ca. I know that Charles had 3 siblings, his mother was Charlotte and his father was William Tingey, his oldest brother was Frederick (may have stayed in UK) and his older sister was Sarah (emigrated to USA I believe). His younger brother was Walter. Charles was born in Luton in 1852. Charlotte and William came to Canada with Walter ahead of Charles and Caroline Norman (signed Caraline on their marriage certificate), who were married May 4, 1874 at St. Andrew's of Banbury, in Islington (I visited the church this spring!) and were settled in Gravenhurst, Muskoka, Ontario, Canada before the birth of their first child in April 1875. Charlotte and William, Walter and Charles and Caroline settled with 100 acre land grants in Ryde Township (where my family and I currently own land). I have many of the UK census records in his childhood/young adult years. I have extensive records re the birth of each of Charles and Caroline's children, with the Canadian census records. Is there any way I can link you to my ancestry.ca pages? Val

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello Pam. Thank you for this information. I do not have Charles' birth certificate but will order it. He was born either 1853 or 1852. I have the 1861 UK census (he was 8 years old then with approximate age of 8) and reviewing it again, note that sister Sarah was the first child born 5 years before Charles, then came Walter 4 years later. I also have the marriage Banns showing both he and Caroline were 21 years old on their date of marriage (May 4, 1974). Val

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello and thank you, Lesley. I don't know how to find out that information. The address to which he asked for return mail was 126 Kirkmanshulme Lane, Longright (incorrectly spelled perhaps), Manchester, Lancashire. Any hints on how to locate who lived there would be greatly appreciated. I did send a letter to the that address early this year, in advance of a trip to the UK, hoping for some luck, but received no reply.
    Val

Brick wall demolition expert!

HI Val,

Kirkmanshulme Lane still exists - put it into something like Google maps. However it's Longsight, Manchester.

When you look at pictures of houses on that road they look as though they have all been built in the last 30 years. That area of Manchester would have been very run down.

Brick wall demolition expert!

In 1939 a sort of census was taken at the outbreak of world war 2. At that time a John and Lois Godfrey were living at 126 Kirkmanshulme Lane. Both were born in the early 1900s. I believe that her maiden name was Mosten so there's no obvious connection with your Charles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast