Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you Megan. Yes I did google it prior to my trip to the UK and noticed that. We did not go there during our visit, simply due to time restraints. While visiting Carlisle, one of our hosts was from Manchester and told me that part of Manchester would have been a very rough area (and still wasn't desireable). I have wondered if Charles was involved in the shipping industry, given the letter was sent from Ceylon in 1931, and note the proximity of Manchester to Liverpool. Given that I cannot find any record of his death, I wonder if he died while at sea, or in another country. It is a mystery! Val

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you for that information. I am thinking if he was in shipping, he may have boarded with whomever lived at the address? Is it possible to search the address in the 1931 UK census?

Brick wall demolition expert!

Unfortunately not for 2 reasons. Firstly UK censuses are only released after 100 years - 1939 has a lot of redacted records for those who are either not 100 years old or known to be dead - and secondly the 1931 census went up in flames during World War 2!

However you could try looking for electoral rolls or registers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12