Thread: Kaystruck

Default Kaystruck

New to this area of research and have been looking for information related to my father who worked for the RAF near Liverpool during WW2. The work hasn't been easy since I lack his date of birth and a fairly common name of Rooney.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Kaystruck,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

If you joined us via Forces War Records this thread will explain our connection.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...rs-Please-Read

I assume that you know how to apply for your father's service records, but are held back by the lack of knowledge of his birthdate. Do you know when he died, because if he died after 1 April 1969 his date of birth will be on the death certificate.

If you happen to know his service number that will suffice instead.

(Five minutes later, the penny drops! )
    Ah, just realised that you said your father worked for the RAF, not that he was in the RAF, in which case there are probably no service records.
    However, the advice re the date of birth on the death certificate still holds true if you're searching for information about him.

Always order certificates direct from the GRO. (I'm probably making a mistake in assuming that you're talking about someone who lived in England or Wales.) In spite of the big heading of Passport Office this is the right link.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

If you're happy to share a little more information about your father on the forum then our members will get their sleuthing skills into gear. It the subject is a little delicate, then send me a private message, by clicking on my user name in the box at the side of this message, and clicking the link.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Many Thanks for your fast and very helpful reply. I do have my father's service number and used this in a search on the Air Force's website but it did not bring up any useful information. I thought that the service number (on his marriage certificate would provide a basic listing but there isn't anything.

Sadly I don't have his birth date and since he died in 1954 this is not on his death certificate.

But Thanks again for your help and insight - much appreciated.
    Cheers Kaystuck

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Service records for anyone who served after 1921 are still held by the MoD.
    All the details for applying for the records, and links to the forms you have to send, can be found HERE.

You have to send a copy of the death certificate and thirty quid.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”