Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default John Lee - Related or Coincidence?

I have a brickwall for my 2xggrandfather, John Lee, that I've been working on for twenty years. However, I've got a side-shoot that I'd appreciate some help with please?

My John Lee had a child with Caroline Murray in 1894 and married her in 1899. However, in 1891 Caroline was with living with her first husband in Fonthill Road, Islington. Next door lived another John Lee, aged 50, bootmaker from Ireland and his wife Ellen, from London, and a son, Henry, aged 12, also from London. Is this why my 2xggrandparents met - family as neighbours?

As I can't find my John Lee anywhere prior to 1894 I've tried following the older John and Ellen via the census, looked for a marriage and a birth registration for Henry. I can't find them together anywhere other than the 1891 census.

This isn't my John Lee who was a generation younger (he died in 1956 aged 91 and the 1939 registration states dob 1864) but is there a connection? The younger couple named their only child Ellen and when they married in 1899 John named his father as John Lee, plate layer. So, were the elder couple related or just good neighbours (Caroline discovered her first marriage was bigamous and her youngest son died in 1891 so she might have welcomed good friends)?

I have a theory about John and Ellen being a temporary relationship and Henry being a step-son because I can find a John Lee, born c1840 in Ireland, Bootmaker, in 1881 and 1901 but with Margaret, also from Ireland, and with various children including another Henry. In 1891 Margaret is alone (married, not widowed) with the children.

I can't find John, bootmaker from Ireland before the 1881 census although if it is to be believed, his family were all born in London during the 1860s. Any help would be gratefully received.

Loves to help with queries

Could John Lee have been a Bus Driver, the reason I ask is there is a John Lee on the 1911 census record with his wife Caroline but also his Father-in-Law James Murray and they state that they have been married for 13 years.
    They are living at 110 Alexander Road Upper Holloway Islington.
    Also gives birth year as 1862, Birth place Isleworth.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Yes, that's my John but not the John I was asking about. The John you have here was very visible from the birth of his daughter in 1894 right until his death in 1956 but I can't find anything for him prior to that. His age varies by 2 or 3 years and he states birth place Isleworth on the 1901 and 1911 census but I can't find his birth registration. There is a John, son of John, raised and living in Isleworth but he's still there and married when this John is with Caroline. I'm hoping that if I can find out more about the older John Lee I might discover they are related - father or uncle perhaps - and pin him down that way.

By the way, on the 1911 census another family are on the same sheet and it's noted 'family boards together' - have you ever seen this before? I can't find a family connection between them so I'm mystified.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Norfolk Nan View Post
    I have a theory about John and Ellen being a temporary relationship and Henry being a step-son because I can find a John Lee, born c1840 in Ireland, Bootmaker, in 1881 and 1901 but with Margaret, also from Ireland, and with various children including another Henry. In 1891 Margaret is alone (married, not widowed) with the children.

I can't find John, bootmaker from Ireland before the 1881 census although if it is to be believed, his family were all born in London during the 1860s. Any help would be gratefully received.
    I think in 1871 John Lee Sr may be in Chatham, aged 29 and born Limerick, Ireland:

John Lee 29 married Bootmaker b Ireland
    Annie 25 wife b Middx, London
    Eleanor M 6 daur Middx, London
    Henry 4 son b Middx London
    Janet 2 daur b Middx London
    Daniel 10m son b Middx London

ADDED: These may well be the birth registrations:
    LEE, ELEANOR MARY mmn LEWIS GRO Ref: 1865 M Quarter in BETHNAL GREEN Volume 01C Page 234
    LEE, HENRY mmn LEWIS GRO Ref: 1866 D Quarter in SHOREDITCH Volume 01C Page 92
    LEE, JANET mmn LEWISS GRO Ref: 1868 S Quarter in SAINT LUKE MIDDLESEX Volume 01B Page 687
    LEE, DANIEL mmn LEWIS GRO Ref: 1870 J Quarter in HOLBORN Volume 01B Page 719

Famous for offering help & advice

Oddly the only Eleanor Mary Lee marriage I can find was in 1889, St Matthew, Upper Clapton, Hackney, to Henry Thomas Catting. She is 23 and a spinster but names her father as Clement Lee, Labourer, deceased.

Perhaps I have the completely wrong birth registrations, but if so its quite a coincidence.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Jomot1 - I think you have found the man and the children but the mystery of the wife continues. Thank you for looking. The references you found for the children match with the place of birth information given on the 1891 census by Margaret. She is from Limerick too. But is she Annie-by-another-name who forgot where she was born in 1871 or a step-mum? And would you agree this is the same John Lee throughout? If so certainly gets about! And yes, I saw the marriage for Eleanor too and thought it a coincidence. Too many questions!

But as there is no John junior I think I have to conclude that he isn't my John's father. So the question still remains is John really son of A John, plate layer, or is that just a cover story?

Thanks for your help.