Thread: New to Site

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default New to Site

Hello. I'm new to this site and not sure how it all works yet.

My research include name of Lavers, Coonrod, Bull

I've been doing genealogy for about 30 years and have finished my father's family line. However I'm now checking into my finance's family and just started. His mother came to the United States from England in 1946 so most my research is in England. Common name of Lavers seems a real chore to track the right line.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Dale,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

I deleted your first post which basically contained just the first paragraph of this post, and it seemed silly to have two posts in the 'Introduce yourself' forum.

I would like to assure you that with an average of about 16 births a year in the period 1910 - 1930 Lavers is not a common name in the UK. Start worrying about common names if you find Jackson, Williams, Johnson, Smith, and Brown in your tree.

Having been reearching your family history for more than ten years longer than me you'll know about working backwards, and obtaining documents, but probably just need a nudge in the right direction for finding stuff in the UK.

Did your fiance's mother go to the US as a wife/fiancee? If so, I presume you have a copy of the marriage certificate which if it was an UK one will give her age and father's name and occupation. (I'm not familiar with US marriage certificates, so don't know what information they contain.)
    If she went as a child then I'm assuming your fiance will know the names of her parents.

Thinking about this, it would be easier if you could tell us a few basic details about her (I assume that she is now deceased) rather than me waffle on about what to do in various scenarios. It will all boil down to obtaining certificates but I can hopefully give you information about the first couple for starters.

Don't worry too much about posting something in the wrong place. The mods (moderators) have a bag of pixie dust they can sprinkle and move posts to the correct sub-forum.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”