Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Starting to feel at home

Update - the copy of the marriage licence for Jane and David Perston arrived today from the SOG. Sadly, no new facts at all (nothing that wasn't in their marriage cert.). Not one clue about her marriage to Temple Browne or when he died and she became a widow. At least I can tick this item off as now having been checked. The hunt continues!

Wilson,
    You clearly have a wealth of info. re. J.H.T.T.Browne which, as a result, has put much of the info. raised by contributors to this post in the "already known" category. Hence, reluctantly I offer this snippet of info - if you have already discovered and dismissed it please ignore this post. Casting around for the latest reference to "your" JHTTB (and variants) -

Liverpool Mail, 7 Feb 1846
    Copy of return pursuant to 7 & 8 VIC; c.32
    NAME OF FIRM
    Liverpool Borough Bank
    Persons to whom the Company or Partnership exists
    Name - Henry Torrens Browne; Residence - Liverpool; Occupation - Broker.

Naturally, no guarantee it's "your" JHTTB (and variants).

The list could be "out of date" ie. tho' listed the name might not be current. So, checked for Liverpool deaths. The General Register Office has an 1845 John Browne death that would "fit" your JHTTB while FMP has has a John Brown (no "e") that could fit the GRO registration?.

Bit of a red herring probably but you may wish to rule out.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Starting to feel at home

Once again....thank you (and everybody) for all their help. I have seen some mention of this Henry Torrens Browne before in Liverpool a few years back. I got very excited, as you can imagine, thinking it was "my" fellow - but, unfortunately not. Their names are so similar though and their dates. I believe I found the Liverpool man's marriage and census info. which ruled him out - but, you never know. At this point anything is possible. What if "my" Browne absconded leaving Jane Bottrall Browne in the lurch - then Temple goes to Liverpool and starts new life?! My goodness, it's all very confusing. Since so many people on this site have now tried to help me find Temple's marr. cert. and his death cert., and none of us has found it yet - that's why I started this thread asking the question as to whether Temple and Jane may have married overseas (and perhaps Temple died overseas). He certainly was alive as of May 1840 when he walked his half-sister Maria down the aisle at her marriage in Camberwell, England. The Foreign Office records state that he left his position there circa November 1840. After that....it's a blank. There was one reference from 1845 (that a kind person on this site posted - will have to check back to see who, but thanks to that person!) about him again as an Insolvent Debtor - but, since it said he was "late of 31 Upper George St., etc.", I rather think he may have been dead by this date and that's why he is no longer at that address. Also, just a few months later, Jane is listed as a Widow on her marr. cert. to David Perston in March of 1846. This family is all on my father's side. My Dad passed away back in 2005, but if he were here, I'd say "Dad....please get your ancestors to cooperate and give us their information" - tongue in cheek, but I'm sure everybody gets to that point with one or more branches of their family!

Don't forget that in the 19th century there was pressure to call children after parents and grandparents, and this can cause problems. For example, If Kermit McMuppet had 3 or more sons who married within the same decade, it's likely that each of them called one of their sons Kermit. Each of those sons (of roughly similar ages) might continue the tradition, and within a couple of generations you have a collection of Kermit McMuppets who have lost contact with 2nd or 3rd cousins and it is no longer obvious why a name is only locally common among a collection of apparently unknown men...

Been there - some of my ancestral families took naming after family so seriously that the children got any and all middle names got passed on as well!

Starting to feel at home

Lesley...thank you for the reminder about naming patterns and the prevalence of the same names in families. Makes it all the more confusing, yes?! This morning I did go back and check on the man that "Helachau" mentioned in her post yesterday - he had a very similar name and was from Liverpool. Unfortunately, his father seems to be an Andrew, whereas the father of "my" man was named John. The other man seems always to have been located in Liverpool, while mine has definite dates and addresses in London/Middlesex as well as Foreign Office records of his being "on the job" during the dates the other man was in Liverpool. Sadly, not a match - but everything and everyone ruled out narrows the clues to eventually finding what I want - his marriage and death info.

My point was that you need to look at the parantage of Andrew and John - and maybe grand-parantage...

Starting to feel at home

Lesley...yes, great advice. Appreciate all the help.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123