Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Pam...you were lucky to get so much added info. on yr 1947 marriage certificate. Wish the one for Jane's last marriage had been like that too.

Famous for offering help & advice

not sure whether it has already been established that FMP has the image of the 1846 Westminster (St James Piccadilly) marriage of Jane Bottrall Browne - which I assume would give her father's name (I don't have an FMP subscription)

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    not sure whether it has already been established that FMP has the image of the 1846 Westminster (St James Piccadilly) marriage of Jane Bottrall Browne - which I assume would give her father's name (I don't have an FMP subscription)
    Clare Journal & Ennis Advertiser of March 1846 announces marriage of D Perston to "Jane, daughter of late C Bottrell (sic) of Releith, Cornwall"

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    It does, he was named Charles Bottrall, deceased, but as I understand it Deb has that marriage certificate, it is the marriage licence she's waiting for.
    Alma

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

One important newspaper that isn't included in the British Newspaper Archive is The Times. It has its own Digital Archive; often available through UK libraries.

I checked using Bottrell/Bottrall but could only find this in the edition for 14 March 1846 for Jane's second marriage.

"At St James's church, Piccadilly, on the 12th inst., by the Rev. Mr. Gogddard, D. Perston, Esq,, M.D., late of the 13th Light Dragoons, to Jane, daughter of the late Charles Bottrell, Esq., of Releith, Cornwall."

However, searching for Temple Browne I found this in the edition dated 19 May 1840. Like the first one it's in a general heading of 'Marriages', not in a births, marriage and deaths (paid) announcement column as we usually know them with the surname(s) given first.

"On the 16th inst., at St George's, Camberwell, by the Rev. S. Smith, Pedro Jose de Guerra, Esq., Consul-General at Paris, to Maria Rynd, daughter of the late Goodlatte Rynd, Esq., of Ryndville-castle, Ireland; the bride was given away by her brother, H. Temple Torrens Browne, Esq., of the Foreign-office. After the ceremony the happy couple proceeded to Paris."

The marriage certificate can be found in Ancestry's London, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1754-1932 dataset.

Temple signed the register as a witness, and the other signature looks to be Jane Anne Browne. Is this a sister, or Jane nee Bottrell, though she's not referred to with Anne as a second name elsewhere.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

according to the wikipedia article on Francis Rynd (1801-61), "Lady Maria Rynd" was the niece of Goodlatte Rynd and "Lady Harriet Jane Brown, nee Temple"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Rynd

but it doesn't offer any proof of that

after some googling

"Harriet Jane Brown (late Rynd)" received £100 per annum from July 1812, after the death of her husband Goodlatte Rynd at Salamanca, "in consideration of the destitute situation in which she and her two children are left.. "

Starting to feel at home

I want to thank everybody for their input, ideas, and suggestions. Very, very helpful - much appreciated!

Deb

Starting to feel at home

Hi Pam....thank you - yes, the 2nd witness was Temple's sister, Jane Ann Browne (my 3xgreat-grandmother). I do have that marriage cert. of their half sister Maria. My posts on Ancestry forums go into much more detail on this family - they were an interesting one. Service in South Africa, marr's in Ireland and England, births while stationed with the Army in S.Africa, 2 sisters married Consuls, etc. Won't bore everyone here with more - the family is so well documented in every other way, that's why it's so strange that Temple's marriage and death details remain aloof. Thanks again!

Starting to feel at home

Yes, correct - I am waiting for the Licence to come (hopefully this week). I do have the marriage certificate.

Starting to feel at home

Thank you - I have a cousin who says that their branch always thought Harriet Jane's maiden name was "Montgomery". Some sites say "Temple". Harriet and children were related to Lord Palmerston (his surname of course being "Temple"), and we have seen online sources and some mentions in books and newspaper articles mentioning that Temple Browne was a relation of Lord P. We don't know how though??? Was it through Lord Palmerston's mother's side of the family or his father's? We do know that Temple Browne no doubt obtained his position at the Foreign Office with the help of his relation Lord Palmerston. I also have a letter mentioning Lord Palmerston trying to help Temple obtain employment in Dunkirk. We do have most of the family history nailed down - Temple Browne's marriage and death elude us (his full name was John Henry Temple Torrens Browne - named after his relation Lord Palmerston). My ID on Ancestry forums is "gburgflorida" and those forums are where I have mainly posted. Many, many thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast