Starting to feel at home

Default Great to have found this site!

Hello...have recently joined and what a wonderful genealogy website this is.

I live in Florida, but have lived all over the USA. Dad was in the military, so he was stationed in several different states during my childhood and early teenage years.

Have been tracing our family history for many, many years leading to finding our cousins back in Wales and England.

My mother's grandparents came to America from Wales. My great-grandfather worked in the mines in Wales and here in America, but later became a Baptist minister and had churches in Maryland and New York where he conducted services in both Welsh and English.

My dad's grandfather came to America in 1886 as a boy aged 14 along with his parents and siblings. They lived in Missouri where they bought land from another English family who had emigrated before them. Later, they moved south to Louisiana - what a culture shock that must have been - from England to the culture of the American south!

Have been travelling back to the UK since I was 17 years old. Most recent trip back was 5 years ago for a family reunion in Wales.

Thank you for letting me join this great group of fellow researchers, all trying to connect to our past.

Debbie
    Florida, USA

Welcome to British-genealogy. Take a look at all the sections and when you are ready you can start asking questions.
    Lots of our members are very knowledgeable and there are several who can direct you to welsh sources. They can also help with the welsh language. I might have been born and raised in South Wales but I live in the part that doesn't speak Welsh.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Debbie is a little late posting her introduction message as she joined about three weeks ago and since then has been busy not only posting her own query, but also helping other members.
    So in return can I say that we're very pleased you found this wonderful genealogy website.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

Ladkyis...thank you for the kind words and helpful suggestions, and yes - I can already see how helpful everyone is on the site. Kudos to all involved!

Debbie

Starting to feel at home

Hi Pam.....thank you! Sorry I was a little late in posting my introduction. I meant to before posting my query, and then forgot! Senior moment..... Great site and generous fellow researchers!

Debbie