Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storer Family

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Storer Family

Looking for information about James Harding Storer, b. 12 Nov 1829.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello jmorgon,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

You've posted your query in the Worcestershire forum, so presumably James was either born, or at least lived in, that county.

What else do you know about James, e.g. names of parents, where he was born/baptised, who he married and when and where, where he was living in any census.

Also, exactly what further information are you looking for about him?

I made a quick search but haven't found anything positive about him.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Hi jmorgan,

I'm guessing you are tracing backward from James Harding Storer born abt. 1859 in Bristol, Gloucestershire? Maybe I'm wrong.

When JHS married Eliza Rees/Reece in 1877 the marriage certificate has George Storer a blacksmith entered as his father. Therefore, presumably, the JHS born 1829 cannot be the father of JHS born 1859 or of George Storer. Can you please say how you got back to JHS born 1829?
    Alma

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Pam,
    This is my first post to this site.
    Thank you so much for taking the time to write to me.
    I also belong to Find My Past but because I have lived in the US all of my life, I am unsure about the English countryside and locations of records (even though I've looked at several maps).

My primary tree is on Ancestry and my DNA is all over the place.

James Harding Storer was my 2nd great-grandfather. Here is what I know:
    He was born in Dudley, Worcestershire, England (according to the 1861 and 1871 England Census). Note: I already have the 1851, 1861, 1871, and 1881 Census records from England.
    He was baptized on 26 Dec 1830 at St. Thomas in Dudley, England.
    He lived in Kingswinford, Staffordshire, England and worked at the British Iron Company when he was 14 years old in 1843 in Corngreaves (where ever that is).
    He married Elizabeth Butler in 1850 in Bromley, Staffordshire, England. I do not have a source for their marriage.

The family immigrated to America aboard the "British Queen" ship, arriving on 12 Sep 1881 in Pennsylvania and they later moved to Cumberland, Allegany County, Maryland USA where they made their home.
    Their children included:
    (1) Sarah b. 1851 Quarry Bank (Crory Cross), Bromley, Stafford, England and d. 01 Apr 1905 in Worcestershire, England. In the England & Wales, National Probate Calendar, 1858... she is listed as having died as a spinster.
    (2) James Harding Jr. b. 05 Sep 1856 in Bromley, Staffordshire, England and d. 31 July 1923 in Cumberland, Allegany County, Maryland USA. He married Marry Ann Clarke.
    (3) Emily b. 16 Jan 1858 in Bromley, Stafford, England and died in 1947 in Cumberland Allegany County, Maryland USA. I have no other information about her except the immigration passenger list.
    (4) Phoebe Elizabeth (my great-grandmother) b. 13 Sep 1862 on Bromley St, Kingswinford, Stourbridge District, Stafford County, England and d. 07 Aug 1944 in Pasadena, Los Angeles County, California USA. She married William Ernest Morgon Sr. on 23 July 1883 in Cumberland, Allegany County, Maryland USA.
    (5) Harry b. 15 Jan 1867 in Bromley, Kingswinford, Stafford, England and d. 12 Nov 1948 Cumberland, Allegany County, Marland USA. He married Anna Cora Davis on 30 June 1892 in Cumberland, Maryland USA.
    (6) George Alfred b. 13 July 1867 Bromley, Staffordshire, England and died 5 Mar 1906 in McKeesport, Pennsylvania, USA. He married Nancy Levina Litz on 27 Jun 1895 in Pennsylvania.
    (7) Annie b. 27 Aug 1868 in Staffordshire, England. I do not know anything more about Annie.

Here is what I'm searching:

(1) I am uncertain about the names of James Harding Storer's parents. I would like to find a source identifying their names. Perhaps someone can find a baptism record from 26 Dec 1830 St. Thomas, Dudley? (Note: Some have identified his parents as Benjamin Storer and Mary Jenkins but records show they lived in Staffordshire.) There is an 1841 Census listing "Stores," and an 1851 Census listing "Stray" and an 1861 Census listing "Storris." It is all very confusing.
    (2) I would like to find a source for the marriage of James and Elizabeth, 1850 Bromley, Staffordshire, England. (I know this is not Worcestershire but I had to start these questions somewhere.)
    (3) I would like to find pictures of the family.
    (4) I would like to connect with any living relatives of the Storer family and share stories.

Any information or research tips would be greatly appreciated.
    Sincerely,
    Judy Morgon
    jmorgon AT yahoo DOT com
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 29-09-2019 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Email address disguised to deter spammers

Hi Judy,

Perhaps someone can find a baptism record from 26 Dec 1830 St. Thomas, Dudley? (Note: Some have identified his parents as Benjamin Storer and Mary Jenkins but records show they lived in Staffordshire.)
    Family Search has this:

James Storer 26th Dec 1830, SAINT THOMAS,DUDLEY,WORCESTER, parents Benjamin and Mary
    Alma

Hi Judy,

I'm going to reply in snippets because I'm sure Alma is working on this as well and it would be silly to duplicate each other's work.

Firstly, you need to obtain a copy of James and Elizabeth's marriage certificate. This will hopefully give you the names and occupations of their fathers.
    Only ever order BMD certificates for England and Wales from the GRO. (The General Register Office is part of the Passport Office, hence the logo at the top of the page.)
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

You have to order certifcates using the exact details given in the GRO Index. Most (but not all) of which has been transcribed to FreeBMD. https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

James' surname has been indexed as STOREY, so I think I would order the certificate using Elizabeth's name (you don't need to give both names). The details you need are:
    Name: Elizabeth Butler
    Year: 1850
    Quarter: I think you have to select 2, which is Mar-Jun
    Registration district: Dudley
    Volume number: 18
    Page number: 428

If I have the correct family, the mistranscription of the Storer surname as Storey continues in at least the 1861 census. RG9/2071 folio 12 page 19.

Pam

The 1841 census you have identified in Staffordshire could well be your ancestors as the census has some born in Staffordshire, others not. The 1841 gives a yes or no answer to the question 'born in county'

Benjamin Stores 35, yes
    Mary Stores 30, yes
    Catherine Stores 10, yes
    James Stores 10, no
    Mary Stores 5, no
    Hannah Stores 2, yes
    Harriett Stores 2, yes
    George Stores 1 Mo, yes
    Alma

There is this birth registration for a Harriet STOREY which could be Harriet age 2 in 1841.
    Stourbridge was the registration district the family were living in in 1841

STOREY, HARRIET, Mother's Maiden Name: JENKINS
    GRO Reference: 1839 M Quarter in STOURBRIDGE UNION Volume 18 Page 462
    Alma

After a lot of searching, I've finally found the family in 1871. Indexed by Findmypast as STORCE.
    lIving in Kingswinford. RG10/3030 folio 41 page 21
    James, 41,
    Elizabeth, 41,
    James, 14
    Emily, 12
    Phoebe E, 8
    George A, 6
    Harry, 4
    James senior born Dudley, everyone else born Kingswinford.

Annie is not listed in the 1871 census. People have been missed off the enumerator's schedule, but unless she's listed in 1881 then I would say she died. However, although I've found her birth registration (as Anne) there's no death registration between 1868 and 1871. She is also missing from the 1881 census.

(Half an hour later)
    Found Anne's death registration. As Ann Storer, aged less than a year, in March quarter 1869, Stourbridge registration district.

Curiously, there's also a death registration for a Phoebe Storer, aged 4, in September quarter 1869, Stourbridge registration district.

Pam

There's this marriage for a Mary Jenkins, but to be the right one Benjamin married as George. According to census returns Mary was born Dudley. It is not beyond the bounds of possibility that he was George Benjamin, or Benjamin George.

George Storey/Mary Jenkins, 9th May 1825, St Thomas, Dudley, Worcestershire.

Perhaps it is best to leave Benjamin and Mary for now until you receive James' marriage certificate when you'll know his father's name.
    Alma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast