Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Dom2

Default Henry Jacobs Family

Hi everyone, I've hit a brick wall and looking for help.

Henry Jacobs, born 1828, Manchester, Lancashire
    Sarah Jacobs (nee Cohen), born 1826, Sheffield, Yorkshire

children
    Sarah Jacobs, born 1853, Manchester
    Priscilla Amelia Jacobs, born 1855, Manchester
    Isabella Jacobs, born 1857 - died 1863, Manchester
    Ralph Jacobs, born 1859 - died 1863, Manchester
    Marcus aka Melville Jacobs, born 1861, Manchester
    Evelyn(e) Jacobs, born 1868, Manchester
    Marion Jacobs, born 1871, Islington, London

Residence
    1861: 139, Oldham Street, Manchester - Henry (tailor/draper) & Sarah
    Sarah, Priscilla, Isabella, Ralph, Marcus
    Mary Riley - servant
    Mary Ann Rose - nurse

1871: 114, Sussex Road, Islington, London - Henry (foreman tailor) & Sarah
    Sarah, Priscilla, Isabella, Ralph, Marcus
    Mary Riley - servant
    Mary Ann Rose - nurse

1881: 284, Pentonville Road, Islington - Henry (merchant tailor) & Sarah
    Priscilla, Melville, Evelyn, Marion
    Harriet Stapleton (cook)

The family disappear from the census records after 1881. I know nothing of
    Henry's parents or if any of their 4 surviving children married.

About Sarah Jacobs (nee Cohen) family, I know quite a lot. She is the daughter of Lazarus & Priscilla Cohen. Her brother Solomon Cohen was a clothier & Alderman of Hull and married to Miriam (nee Hart). They had 7 children none of whom married, one son George became the first Jewish coroner. Her sister Leah was married to the Polish born Julius Rogaly, 6 of their 8 children emigrated to South Africa, one to Australia and the last lived in London.

Thanks in advance
    Dominic

1851, Deansgate, Manchester. HO107; Piece: 2229; Folio: 727; Page: 26
    Isaac Jacobs 51, tailor clothes dealer Poland (Russia)
    Catherine Jacobs 33, wife, Nottingham
    *Hurata Jacobs 24, Manchester (*possibly Henrietta)
    Rosabel Jacobs 13, Manchester
    Ambrosia Jacobs 11, Burnley
    Sarah Jacobs 4, Blackburn
    Henry Jacobs *33, tailor clothes dealer, Manchester. (* original says 23)
    Ralph Jacobs 12, Blackburn
    Morris Jacobs 6, Blackburn
    Thomas Worth 24, servant, Solomon Lyons 21 servant, Mary Hughes 28 servant

Catherine must be Isaac's 2nd wife.
    Alma

Dom2

Thank you for that info, Alma. I missed his entry in the 1851 census which I've now located. Yes, definitely him. I'll see if I can find out any further info on Henry & sarah's children

Dundee10

This may be Marcus marrying in Massachusetts in 1897:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...1:S3HY-DTWR-3Y

The 1900 US census has his immigration year as 1886.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...:S3HT-6LJW-WYX

Dom2

Great research Dundee10! That is definitely Marcus. his marriage cert to Nellie Walls names his parents as Henry & Sarah. His occupation in 1900 is manager(clothing store) which ties in with him being an assistant tailor prior to emigration. Many thanks.

Dom2

So, following on from Dundee10's research, I have gathered the following info which may be of use to other researchers.

The Jacobs family of Henry & Sarah are last seen in the Uk, in 1881, Islington, London.
    The children in the census are:

Priscilla A (her middle name is Amelia)
    Melville M (in the previous census he is Marcus)
    Evelyn
    Marion (there is a birth for Marion Ada in 1871, but I can't be certain this is her)

In 1884 an H.Jacobs, 55 (clothier), Sarah J 53, P J (female), Marcus J, L (could be an E) J,16, & M J, 11 arrive in New York.

Henry.
    He must have died before 1900, presumably in New York.

Sarah
    A Sarah Jacobs, widow, born in England, parents born in England, appears in the 1900 census. She is living in Manhattan, New York, aged 76 - this tallies with her UK birth date of 1823. However, the census states she has been in the US for 12 years, meaning she arrived in 1888 and not 1884. For children born she claims a total of 5, with 3 living. This does not tally. I have 7 children, 2 having died in their infancy, and one last seen in 1861.

Living with Sarah are:

Marie Zimmerman, aged 40 (daughter), so born in 1860. 2 children born, none living. Saleswoman. I thought this might be the M (aged 11) whose name in 1881 appears as either Marion or Marie but is born in 1871.

Evelyn Jacobs, aged 32, so born in 1868 which tallies with her UK birth date. Saleswoman.

Priscilla Jacobs, aged 28, so born in 1872. This does not tally with her UK birth date which is 1855. Dressmaker.

In 1903 a Priscilla A Jacobs, aged 40, arrives in New York from Hull, England. Hull is
    where her Mother's family originated from. She has been living in the USA for 19 years which means she arrived in 1884 and not 1888 as noted in the 1900 census. For relative she has written Madame Marie.

Marcus

In 1886, Massachusetts, Marcus marries Nellie Walls. The marriage cert names his parents as Henry & Sarah.

In 1900, they are living in Boston, The census gives his birth date as 1860 which tallies with his UK birth date. There is a son named Vincent who is born in 1885. Another document shows Vincent to have had his name changed to Jacobs, so must have been adopted by Marcus after his marriage to Nellie. Marcus dies in about 1907. He has no living descendants.

To conclude, I don't know if this is the same family as the one I am researching.
    There are too many coincidences to rule them out, but the many inconsistencies shout 'beware'.
    After 1900, with the exception of Priscilla, all but Marcus, disappear.

Hi Dom
    Here is the New York Municipal Death Record for Henry Jacobs- Died 31 Jan 1903 Manhattan NY Address 446.W.27.S age 75 widowed Retired b 1828 Manchester burial 2 Feb 1903 Mt.Neboh-father ISAAC JACOBS b Germany-mother SARAH M b England

For other researchers see GRO Marriage Index Henry Jacobs -Sarah Cohen June qtr 1852 Manchester 8d 706

See also JewishGen 1851 Anglo Jewry Census Data base
    Isaac Jacobs ID 13925

There are Berger references to Solomon Cohen including the death of his son Elias and daughter Sarah both in 1869 67 Queen Street Hull. Elias was 8 years old and Sarah 11 years 10 mths.

I will look further on the various lines.

Phillip
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Dom
    New York Death Records- Marcus Jacobs Death 7 July 1906 Manhattan NY age 45 Address 45 W 30th St. NY City Married Merchant b 1861 Manchester burial 9 July 1906 Mt.Neboh Cemetery -parents Henry Jacobs b England;mother Sarah Cohen b England

Dom2

Hi Phillip,
    thank you.

Henry's death in 1903 has made me reconsider the 1900 census for Sarah (& children) in which she describes herself as widow. Mind you I found numerous inconsistencies with birth dates for her children, as well as the total number of children borne to Sarah.

So, Marcus & Henry I have.

What then happened to Sarah, Evelyn, Priscilla & Marion?
    Sarah (daughter of Henry & Sarah) b. 1853, must have died in either Manchester or Islington.

By the way, we had a thread on the Cohens Of Hull in 2013 (I was Dom1 then instead of Dom2)

https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...Cohens-of-Hull
    Last edited by Dom2; 30-09-2019 at 7:38 PM. Reason: spelling

Hi Dom
    This looks like the Death Record for Sarah Jacobs nee Cohen- New York Death Records Death 14 May 1901 Manhattan NY Address 140 W.116 St Manhattan NY AGE 76 Married Occupation Private b 1825 England Burial Cypress Hills-Parents Eleazer Cohen and Priscilla Cohen-both born England.

The 1900 USA Census which has Sarah Jacobs at W25 7th Ave Manhattan with Marie;Evelyn;Priscilla may well be correct.

It is also possible that Sarah and Henry were separated and I have noted within my own lines records where a married couple refer to themselves as widow or widower when other records clearly show them to both be alive.

I assumed that you were both Dom 1 and Dom 2 and initially had forgotten the Cohen earlier posts.
    Will look further.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast