Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Dom
    Having lived in Australia and spent over 20 years researching my Anglo Jewish lines I have built up major data bases on the various families and am very aware of the Cousinhood not least because my lines married into the Goldsmid, Adler and other prominent Jews and later the Mandelson of Australia and later London.among numerous others. I know that the Hyman of Sydney related to the Samuel Cohen and George Judah Cohen lines through marriage and that these lines relate to the Mandelson who settled in London.
    My 5x great grandfather was Moses Cohen but I have no idea about his line but have traced each of my other lines in great detail.
    With regard to linking the Cohen of Hull to your lines and to the Lewis of Liverpool et al I suspect the data is there and I have read various JC Obituaries regarding the individuals which do not appear elsewhere in the same detail.

For my own interest and to see if there are any distant links to my lines I will look further.
    I have read the article on the Jews of Hull and have access to the various articles on JSTOR which include some of my own lines. If I note anything of relevance to you I will post.

Dom2

I, too lived in Australia for 6 years.

I knew you knew the Cousinhood, I just mentioned it for other
    researchers.

The Cousinhood by Chaim Bermant (published, 1972)

All the families in the cousinhood make appearances on my tree, excepting The Goldsmids
    & Rothschilds. The Beddingtons are Nathan descendants.

Levy Pacific Mandelson returned to England after losing a fortune in
    the Australian banking crash. Sarah, his wife, was my 1st CX3. 6 of Levy's siblings married into my family. Levy's mother was Phoebe Cohen and her father Jacob Cohen of Leicester. I don't think they relate to my Cohens.

Yes, and Rossie married Herbert Courlander who I believe is your relative. So, that ties
    you in with the Salamans via The Harts. So, you're related to my 1st cousins
    who descend from Josiah Solomon & Bella Hart - the Lewisohns, also my great aunt by marriage Myrtle Allegra Prince (nee De Pass) & so on. That's right isn't it.

Yes, Hyam Hyman married my great x3 aunt Jane Cohen, they arrived in NSW, in 1859
    much to the consternation of her brothers David & Samuel!

Another theory I have considered is that my Levy family were related
    to Benjamin Hyam (later Halford) founder of Hyam & Co.
    Reason being is that David Levy (Lewis) was apprenticed to Benjamin in Liverpool and
    The Levys lived in Surrey. Benjamin's wife Kitty was born Levy and I
    think might have been David's aunt. I'm not the only who thinks that.
    I have no concrete proof to back my theory up, but I think an apprentice
    could have been found nearer to Liverpool than Surrey, so there must have been
    a connection to warrant such a change of location for David, especially
    since his Mother was then a widow and all his brothers, excepting one, had left for NSW.
    After David had served his apprenticeship he asked Benjamin for a partnership but was refused. Fortunate, because Hyam went under & David founded Lewis's.

Yes, I can't access that JStor article on The Jews of Hull - I think at one
    point it was freely available but not anymore. Perhaps it was in there that
    I got the name Lazarus.

Dom
    In the Israel Finestein article he states..."Solomon Cohen (1827-1907), a Sheffield born clothier who had settled in Hull in 1850 after employment in the clothes industry in Manchester. His father Lazarus had been a clothes dealer in Sheffield..." The Jews in Hull between 1766 and 1880. Israel Finestein. Jewish Historical Studies Vol 35 (1996-1998)pp33-91 Jewish Historical Society of England.

I have seen Eleazer and Lazarus as interchangeable in some family examples.

You are quite right about my Hart/Solomon lines- Bella Hart who married Josiah Solomon was the daughter of Benjamin Hart my x4 great grandfather clothier, glover of Rosemary Lane and Hollywell Street. My lines also married into the Salaman and Mandelson as you say. I have 2 separate Hart lines who married into each other.
    My 5x great grandfather Samuel Crawcour 1748-1816 was in Hull for a short period where his son Moses was born circa 1770-72.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Dom2

Thanks Phillip, I knew I'd seen 'Lazarus' somewhere. Mental note to myself - detail the source of your research.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123