prue

Default Woolsey children

HI everyone,
    This is a follow up plea in respect of the Woolsey children and indeed William Yallop Woolsey himself.
    When William left his wife Sarah [date unknown but prior to 1851]and went off to Kent with Maria[h] Golding he seems to have left a mystery or two behind him. William was born c1817 and appears on the 1841 and 1851 census and after that nothing. At some point he obviously died but I haven't a clue when or where. But unless someone out there has an eureka moment, I have in a way abandoned dear William for the time being However his children are a different matter and while I do know a fair amount there are gaps and I would be very grateful if anyone can fill in the missing pieces.
    Emma died, so she is dismissed poor girl however Jonathan [b Sudbury in 1848] no trace of him other than on 1851 census and 1861 census when Mariah has moved back to Cavendish with the children. After that he seems to have vanished.
    Mark [b in Farnborough/Bromley in 1851] states on 1871 census he came from Australia which has to be a total red herring. He did however live in Birmingham and was a French Polisher and I don't really have a problem with him. Now Abraham [b 1853 Farnborough] also seems to have gone missing in 1871 but he re-appears on the 1881 and 1901 census and then must have died but I have not been able to trace this yet - there also seems to be some confusion over his children which I have yet to work out. Oh and he married twice - Elizabeth Adams and when she died in 1871 he married a Harriet Elizabeth Speer within a couple of months, so clearly not heart-broken.
    The last sibling, Harriet [b in Sudbury 1855] also doesn't appear anywhere on the 1871 census although she marries in 1873 a George Pannell but then divorces him in 1887 and then I believe she marries an Alfred Parmenter but I haven't looked into this yet. Also she spells her name Wolsey on the divorce papers.
    So if any kind soul out there is in a position to assist then you will have my grateful thanks.
    Many thinks in advance
    Prue

I wonder did Abraham and his second wife, Harriett, separate?

WOLSEY, ELIZABETH MARIA, MMN SPEER
    GRO Reference: 1877 D Quarter in SHOREDITCH Volume 01C Page 151

Elizabeth Maria Wolsey
    is in the Islington Workhouse, admitted 17th Sept 1900. Her notes say: Clean; Mother Harriet Carroll 26, Offord Road, Barnsbury (which is in the Islington Borough).

1901 census, 26, Offord Road, Barnsbury. RG13; Piece: 181; Folio: 7; Page: 5
    John Carroll 45, born Ireland
    Harriett Carroll 43, born Islington.

I did notice when Abraham married Harriet Speer the witnesses were surnamed Adams, they are possibly his first wife's siblings.

That's my contributions for now as it's late and time for bed.
    Alma

I couldn't sleep!

Abraham and Harriet's marriage certificate names her father as John and Harriet was a brushmaker.

I wonder if this is Harriet who has reverted back to her maiden name and is entered as unmarried, it does look likely. But, if her, where are the children?

1891, Clerkenwell. RG12; Piece: 228; Folio: 136; Page: 45
    John Speer 56
    Francis A Speer 53
    Harriett Speer 33, brush drawer, Clerkenwell
    Elizabeth Speer 29
    Sarah Speer 27
    Matilda Speer 25
    Mary A Speer 23
    Jessie Speer 13
    John Speer 19
    Eliza Speer 21
    George Speer 16

School Admissions.
    John A Wolsey, Born 18 Aug 1879
    Admission Date: 12 Jul 1886, Bell Street School
    Father: Abraham Wolsey, add. 12, Chapel St

Elizabeth Wolsey
    Admission Date: 17 Oct 1882, Charles Street School
    Mother: Harriet Wolsey

Elizth M Wolsey, Birth Date: 29 Sep
    Admission Date: 6 Jul 1886, Bell Street School
    Father: Abraham Wolsey, add. 12 Chapel St.
    Alma

John Albert Wolsey joined the Army in 1897 Royal Warwickshire Regiment, attestation service number 5038

On attestation his mother was next of kin, her details: Harriett Carroll 26, Offord Road.

After his marriage his wife then became next of kin, Frances Alice Gerard, marriage 25/12/07 at St Philip the Evangelist. Witnesses Samuel Murell and Margaret Simpkin.
    Alma

1891, RG12; Piece: 151; Folio: 65; Page: 21
    John Carrell 32, groom, Ireland
    Harriet Carrell 32, wife, Clerkenwell
    Elizebeth Walsey 13, stepdau Clerkenwell
    John Walsey 11, stepson, Clerkenwell

Surnames spelt as indexed on Ancestry.

So, was Harriett enumerated twice, or, is the one mentioned above a different Harriet?
    Alma

prue

Good morning,
    Now I hate to think I have been the cause of you not being able to sleep but I do thank you very much for the information as you have given me some food for thought and plenty to look up and check on. As you can probably gather the family are giving me grief and have been for some while especially as a number of things do not add up and not finding them generates more questions then answers. The only sibling I know about is Mark which fortunately for me is my friend's great grandfather and he leaves a good trail although does throw up the occasional question like why he put Australia down as his birth place and why are earth did he move to Birmingham. The family stayed in Birmingham until the 1930's when it moved to Bedfordshire and I think in turn some came down into the Islington area. Being from North London myself and with part of my own family having been in Islington and surrounding districts for over 100 years and being prominent coaching people, and I now live in Bedfordshire myself, I know these areas well. However the Woolsey [Wolsey] family have moved around on a regular basis which as everyone knows, gives a person grief.
    I don't come on to this site very often so I am a little rusty in all this as I usually manage to eventually find what I am looking for, however occasionally I hit the brickwall big time, like now.
    So many, many thanks.
    Prue