Default Richard George Meale DFM

Hi I'm looking for any information regarding the action Flight Sergeant Richard Meale was involved in that gained him the DFM. I know that he flew Sunderlands, specifically "Queenie" - reg letters WQ.Q - with 209 squadron. His war record confirms the award but gives no further details. Any pointers in where to look would be much appreciated. Also happy to take recommendations for books about the history of the Sunderlands. Lesley

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

Distinguished Flying Medal.1336000 Flight Sergeant Richard George MEALE,R.A.F.V.R., 209 Sqn.In August, 1945, this officer and airman a?pilot and front gunner respectively of a Sunder-land aircraft, were engaged on an armed reconnaissance when they sighted an enemy tug and two barges. Flying Officer Yeomans executed two determined and accurate attacks while Flight Sergeant Meale swept the decks of the vessels with machine-gun fire. As a result of their excellent work and co-operation, two of the vessels were destroyed and the third one badly damaged. The success of this and other sorties is the result of ahigh standard of efficiency and long training to which they have applied themselves so enthusiastically and diligently in the past

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...upplement/5183

Wow. Keith - thank you so much. Richard never spoke about this...his step-son, my late partner, only found out about the award when Richard died and never managed to track down the story for certain. As an aside do you know if the Air Gunners Association is still in existence? I'm guessing most of its founder members are long gone, but there might be records and family anecdotes still circulating?

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

There is a web site if you google "tailendcharlietedchurch" I can't put the link on here because it has adverts. Not an expert on RAF, have done limited research but I'm sure there will be other members who can help.

https://www.air-gunners.co.uk/page9.html Could still be working.

Keith