Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Would the accident/inquest be reported?

Edward Springall died aged 79 in Guy's Hospital, London on 16th February 1922. The cause of death is "Syncope Pericarditis. Adhesive Mediastinitis accelerated by fall from a tramcar 21st January 1922. Accident at pm". (The medical conditions are my best effort with the handwriting.)

The death certificate was issued on 22nd February 1922 by the Deputy Coroner for Southwark after an inquest on 21st February 1922.

Is it likely the accident and inquest would have made the local newspaper and would give me a bit more information?

I have had a look on the British Newspaper archives but can't see anything.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Is it likely the accident and inquest would have made the local newspaper and would give me a bit more information?
    The answer is possibly. The problem is tracking down a possible local paper, which may well not be online.

Firstly, though, I presume we are referring to the Edward Springall who in the 1911 census is living in Stamford Street, Blackfriars, with wife Caroline. The parish was Christchurch, and the registration district, Southwark. Living at 44 Stamford Street when he died.

He died in Southwark registration district, so he thereford died in the district in which he was living.

Following that logic I searched for newpapers in Southwark, and found this.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwark_News
    which is no good as it only began in 1987.

Then found
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...pers_in_London

Of the Regional papers currently published, the only one which has been going long enough is the Evening Standard, which back in the day would have been the London Evening Standard. The British Newspaper Archive has copies from 1827-1909. I don't know if any of the London libraries would have copies for 1922. Try Southwark library first. Ask if they could do a look-up and give the date of the accident and the date of the inquest. There will be a total of four dates to look up - the actual dates of the events, plus the next day.

From the list of 'paid for' papers this would seem the best bet.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_London_Press
    Again, try Southwark library for copies of it, though you could also try the newspaper itself.

The 'free' newspapers would only have started publishing in more recent times so are irrelevant.

Of the 'defunct' papers, your best bet is the Evening News. No copies of any years in the BNA.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Spot on with it being Edward Springall in 1911.

Thank you for the time and trouble you have taken to look at this for me. I'm hopeless with the newspapers online!

I will find the relevant local library and drop an e-mail (I'm in France) to see if they might have anything and be able to do a look up for me. The informant on the death certificate of Edward's first wife (Mary Ann who died in 1889) is Emily Springall who is described as a step-daughter. Emily was, in fact, a daughter-in-law because she married Edward and Mary Ann's eldest son, William.

Emily Springall committed suicide in 1914 and the inquest for that was written up in the South London Press. I'll have to retrace my steps on that - I don't think the library were very helpful then (it was some years ago now) but I managed to get a London-based cousin to go to the library and get it for me.

Again, thanks for your help which has jogged a memory!

Growing old Disgracefully

The local records office should have copies of old news papers.

I had a query about a member who was found Drowned in the river at Lemington, Warwickshire I had all the details. I rang the records office and spoke to a very nice ladie Told her what I was looking for explained that I could visit but didnot want to go all that way as I would have to take a bus and a train to get there.

2 Hours later she phoned me back yes they had found the Inquest details in the local paper so off I went, see the actual newspaper from 1900 which they gave me a copy of just the Inquest which I sent over to a cousin in America whos Great Grandmother who had Drowned

Interesting. I have sent off an e-mail to the local library who had the newspapers last time. I will try the records office on Monday. Thank you.