Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sophia Joel

There is a tree on familysearch.org suggesting that a Samuel Samuel born c1787 in England marrried an Ann Isaac c1808 and had a daughter Hester (Esther) Samuel c1812 who would be a close match with the daughter Esther in the 1841 census.
    Other children's names given are Henry Soloman Samuel 1808 Chichester, Sussex
    Death 30 April 1878 22 North St, Kingston, Jamaica
    Jane Samuel Birth 1816 Chichester, Sussex Death 27 June 1895 Gosforth Northumberland, England
    Kate (Catherine?) Samuel Birth 1823 Death 1896

These are all names on the 1841 census but Sarah isn't on there and they would need verifying.

Evidently Samuel Samuel left a will dated 27 August 1829 Chichester, Sussex when he died 7 September 1829 at the house of George Barnard, Portsea, HAM.
    If the will mentions all his children by name it would be helpful. A copy of the will can be downloaded from the Naional Archives site for a cost of 3 pounds 50p
    https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ails/r/D179779
    Of course they may not be the family you are seeking but at worst they would be eliminated from the search.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hi
    Have you tried matching any of the Samuel names in my post #8 (1841 census) with the possible father Shmuel Levi Samuel in your first post?
    Christina

Yes, but no one else has a father by that name I could find, at least on Jewish Gen. of course the records are not necessarily standardized.

This is an initial help until my main computer is repaired.
    See synagogue scribes records GSM 277/01
    Sophia Samuel, Hebrew name Tsipora,
    Marriage 12 th October, 1831.
    Fathers Hebrew name Shmuel HaLevi.
    Joel Coleman Joel
    Fathers Hebrew name Kalonymus Kalman.
    See Cemetery Scribes family and tombstone inscription,
    Joel Coleman Joel.ID 1429. Died 1842.
    Hopefully I will supply more data on the lines once I receive my repaired computer.
    Phillip
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

The following is from The Jewish Chronicle 23.5.1862
    JOHN JOEL.
    On Tuesday night, a fire broke out suddenly in premises of MR JOEL, book seller, 42Fore Street, four of the inmates had not time to save themselves.MRS JOEL, her eldest son, only daughter, and female servant, fell a prey to the flames. We need hardly say this calamity has excited the deepest sympathy in the community. The only survivor of the family is JOHN JOEL, another brother of his having some years ago perished by fire in the Amazon.

I have access to various Joel/ Samuel family references in the Jewish Chronicle archives and will access these once my computer is repaired.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12