Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default HMS President 111

I have found that the HMS President 111 my ancestor was killed on was not a ship but a shore base near London. what I am wanting to know is how to find the ship Herbert Brearey, P/JX 290005, who was killed on the 6th July 1942 was on and any information about this vessel.
    Any information would be appreciated or how to proceed in my search.
    Many thanks

His entry on the CWGC website says HMS President III. There’s a good chance that the base was bombed, especially since he is listed on the Portsmouth Naval Memorial so was either not identified or not found.

It would be worth checking the newspapers of that week.

OTOH there are posts on the Great War Forum saying that President III was the accounting base for the naval gunners on Defensively Armed Merchant Ships, and they would not necessarily have been there. The problem is that the MOD has not yet released WW2 records, so I still think that newspapers may be your best bet. You have the date, so look for merchant ships being sunk.

PS Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum!

Hi Lesley
    The information I have on a list,Folio No.000426 mentions Herbert as A/A.B, was killed at sea, cause of death given as a number 2 what ever that indicates.If this is of any use.
    Will arrange in the mean time to access library records

Hi Lesley
    Thank you will look through local papers at the library

Knowledgeable and helpful

Findmypast has a record of Herbert Brearey's death which has ( SS Hero ) after HMS President III.
    (British Armed Forces and Overseas Deaths and Burials). His death is recorded as 'at sea'.

The website Wrecksite has an entry for an SS Hero which was torpedoed and sunk on 6th July 1942, the same date as Herbert's death.

Peter

Hi Peter

Thank you for that I will look this up, it will fill in the gaps I have

Peter

That matches with other entries on the Great War Forum. Other people with losses from President III were being referred to other ships with references to “Admiralty Deaths”.

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

The sinking of SS Hero is shown on U-Boatnet site https://uboat.net/allies/merchants/ship/1896.html
    The Hero was a Defensively Armed Merchant Ship (DEMS). DEMS were merchant ships fitted with a rearward facing gun, so the theory was that they could not be seen as offensive. However, the guns were manned by Royal Navy gunners, so the civilian status of the merchant crew would not be compromised.
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

https://www.naval-history.net/xDKCasAlpha1939-45Bo.htm

BREAREY, Herbert, Act/Able Seaman, P/JX 290005, Hero, steamship, (President III, O/P), 6 July 1942, ship loss, MPK

MPK is missing presumed killed

O/P is On Passage

Hi Peter
    Was on this site late last night and I am certain this is the Herbert Breary I am looking for
    thank you for your help
    peter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast