Default Commissary Dept of the English army

I would like any recommendations on where to look based on the following information that I have regarding my ancestor.

His obituary states that in his 18th year he was present at the seige of Sebastopol, as a clerk to his brother who was in the Commissary Dept of the English army.

Other information passed down states that he had been in the Crimean War, had a sabre cut to his throat, and he received the Victoria Cross for bravery.

Also, are there any places to search for soldiers wounded in the Crimean War?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello lsater,
    Welcome to British-Geneaogy.

It's very easy to check if your ancestor won the Victoria Cross
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_...oss_recipients
    though if it's not mentioned in his obituary I doubt that he did.

The siege of Sebastopol began in September 1854 so if he was in his 18th year, he would have been born in 1837 (possibly end of 1836). Do you have other documentation that confirms that?

As with most queries, a name and a little bit of background to the person concerned can usually be helpful to our members in their search for possible answers.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Welcome to the Forum.
    My understanding is that Sebastopol (Sevastopol)took place between 1854 and 1855. At that time the Commissariat staff were Civilians attached to the Army. And as civilians, I am not sure that its members were entitled to a VC. His name would help and quite a few sites list those awarded VCs during the Crimean War.
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Hello lsater,
    Welcome to British-Geneaogy.

It's very easy to check if your ancestor won the Victoria Cross
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_...oss_recipients
    though if it's not mentioned in his obituary I doubt that he did.

The siege of Sebastopol began in September 1854 so if he was in his 18th year, he would have been born in 1837 (possibly end of 1836). Do you have other documentation that confirms that?

As with most queries, a name and a little bit of background to the person concerned can usually be helpful to our members in their search for possible answers.

Pam
    His name is Donald McDonald and according to the 1880 U.S. Census he was born about 1837, which appears to agree with this. However, other records indicate he could have been born around 1832. It is believed that he was born near Caithness, Scotland. There is referenced that he had a brother and a sister but don't know their names.

Lorelei

Quote Originally Posted by peter nicholl View Post
    Welcome to the Forum.
    My understanding is that Sebastopol (Sevastopol)took place between 1854 and 1855. At that time the Commissariat staff were Civilians attached to the Army. And as civilians, I am not sure that its members were entitled to a VC. His name would help and quite a few sites list those awarded VCs during the Crimean War.

His name was Donald McDonald. Is there possibly someplace that I might be able to find out more about individuals that were on the Commissariat staff? Or about individuals wounded?