Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Which death is more likely?

Mary Ann Jones born in Manchester in 1836. Mary Ann married Edward Springall born in 1843.

Tracking the family through marriage and census returns Mary Ann consistently 'lies' about her age to be younger by some/many years than her husband. In 1881 they are living at 39 Jardin Street in Camberwell, Surrey. William is noted as 38 and Mary Ann is noted as 30 years old. In 1891 Edward is a widower.

A search of GRO death records shows Mary Ann Springall aged 40 died in Q4 1888 in St. Saviour, Surrey and another Mary Ann Springall died aged 39 in 1889 in St. Saviour, London. There is a birth record of a Mary Ann Springall in Hendon, Middlesex in 1848 who could be either of these two women. There are no other likely ones on GRO.

So, how do I decide which death of Mary Ann above is mine - if either? Do I just gamble and buy a certificate and hope I get lucky first time or is there another/better way to make a choice?

I'd guess that you may well have to buy one, if not both, certificates, as you cannot presume that either Mary Ann is actually the wife of Edward.

Emeltee

there is also a death in 1899 in Camberwell Surrey 58 years old residence given as 97 Glengall Rd

Dundee10

In 1891 Edward is living at 2 Beckford Place, Newington, Walworth. The Mary Ann SPRINGALL who was buried on 2 Sep 1889 at the City of London and Tower Hamlets cemetery also lived at 2 Beckford Place.

I feared I might have to buy both certificates (and maybe more!) but the September 1889 death now looks the more likely. This is just the little 'extra' I was hoping to find to narrow things down. I think I'll go for that one in the first instance - despite having decided overnight that the other one was more likely as she was older, albeit by only one year! Can you tell me which website records the burial please? And, thank you!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Remember you can get black-and-white PDF certificates for births and deaths listed in the GRO Historical Index. https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
    Not as pretty looking as the certified copies, but they are four quid cheaper.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Pam: Yes, I do always go for the PDFs - cheaper and quicker and I'm really only interested in the information rather than a fancy keepsake!

Dundee10

London, England, City of London and Tower Hamlets Cemetery Registers, 1841-1966 is available on Ancestry.

The other Mary Ann who was buried on 4 Nov 1888 lived at 5 Chatham Street and appears to be the first wife of Robert SPRINGALL. He remarried in 1890 to Rosina Amelia JOLLY nee HARRIS and resided at 5 Chatham Road.

Well, that settles it then. GRO here I come! Thank you.