Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Help with military records

My g/f George Albert Weech (1891-1968) served in WW2 in a tank regiment. This is based on verbal family recollections.

I have discovered a 1935 attestation record on FMP for 845074 George Albert Weech. This entry is for Royal Artillery attestations. The service number is 845074. The entry contains the comment "Fraudently re-enlisted R Tank Corps 23-2-37 as Weech G. Held to serve in R Tank Corps.

Searches for the above service number return nothing.

I am also not able to find a record for his enlistment into the Tank Corps nor a discharge record but I do find a G A Weech with a service number of 7884942 listed as a POW. Without supporting facts I cannot assume them to be the same person. No family records exist and I never heard that he was a POW.

I ask for guidance in finding; did he serve an time in the RA? Where can I locate discharge records? Would he have been disciplined for re-enlisting?

If the above is not enough, he met my g/m in/around Banbury and they married there in Apr 1914. The family recollection is that he was in Barracks near Banbury at the time. I have found no record of him serving in the military at that age.

I have used A, FMP, FWR and MH, where should I continue my research?

Super Moderator

Where was George born (Cheshire?) Was his wife Lilias Frost? If so they married in 1919 (Sept. qtr Banbury)

Brick wall demolition expert!

The records for anyone who served after 1921 have not been released by the MOD. They have to be applied for. This post tells you how to do that.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...-including-WW2

Super Moderator

If you think he did serve in WW2 and he was born in 1891, He would have been about 48 in 1939. So perhaps the "Fraudulent Re-enlistment" means he lied about his age!

Starting to feel at home

George was born in Street Somerset. In 1911 he was working in Monmouthshire so he being around Banbury at the time is unknown. He did marry Lilias Louise Frost in 1919 (my error stating 1914 above.)

Super Moderator

As you have already looked at Ancestry, you will have probably seen all the Military records and also the 10 trees from other members. Have you seen the 1939 register entry too?

Starting to feel at home

I have seen the documents but I have not looked at other trees. I will try those next.

Thank you for all your help.

Super Moderator

Can't find a George Weech living in Monmouth on the 1911 census. Found William Wych (this is showing on someone's tree) living in Power Street.

Super Moderator

I keep finding bits of info. which I know isn't answering your original question but .....

Have you seen the marriage certificate between George Albert and Lilias Frost? George gives his residence at time of marriage as Irthlingborough (?) Northants. He was a Leather Dresser and a Bachelor. They marriage in the Parish church of Millington, Oxfordshire where Lilias lived.

Starting to feel at home

I have a copy of the marriage certificate. The Irthlingborough connection I can understand as there are many connecting points to the leather industry. I have no proof that he was previously employed as a leather worker but as he came from an extended family that counted glove makers amongst their numbers in addition to being close to the Clarks shoe factory it is more than possible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast