Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Super Moderator

I saw that entry, but no sign of George.

Starting to feel at home

I have not been able to find him in 1911.

Super Moderator

Do you have a tree on Ancestry?

I think we may be looking at two different families here. I think the parents of your George were Elisha and Mary Jane Legg. Elisha died in 1896 I think and there is a possibility Mary married again in 1900 either to Henry Grovier or John Stanley Mundy. I have looked at census returns but can't find anything. So if she did marry, the children (James, William, Alice and George) could have been entered on the census returns under a different surname. I think I have found George in the 1901 census. a visitor with the Burt family - is this correct.

Starting to feel at home

Sue, I do have a tree on Ancestry.

Elisha was killed at age 38 so I am not surprised that Mary would have remarried. That was not something I looked into.

I am certain that I have come across the name Burt in my research and I need to go back and locate them.

As always I am amazed at how quickly the members of this forum find information that I spent days, weeks or months looking for.

Famous for offering help & advice

I'd say the Wych family in Monmouth is the right one.

Mary 49 widow b Bridport Dorset
    William 25 b Street, Somerset
    Alice 23 b Street, Somerset
    Beatie 17 b Street, Somerset
    Elsie 15 b Street, Somerset

The children match these births:
    WEECH, WILLIAM THOMAS mmn LEGG GRO Ref: 1886 J Quarter in WELLS Volume 05C Page 531
    WEECH, ALICE MAUD MARY ANN mmn LEGG GRO Ref: 1888 S Quarter in WELLS Volume 05C Page 501
    WYCH, BEATRICE MAY mmn LEGG GRO Ref: 1894 S Quarter in WELLS Volume 05C Page 466
    WYCH, ELSIE EMILY mmn LEGG GRO Ref: 1896 M Quarter in WELLS Volume 05C Page 451

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    If 'your' George was in Wales in 1911 then he may be the George Weech who served in WW1 in the 8th Bn Welsh Regiment, No 24838. First entered a theatre of war 28 Oct 1915 (so enlisted before conscription)& discharged to reserves 31 Mar 1919
    This is certainly him, I just recently discovered letters from him to his wife with his No, Rank Name & unit sent from the School of Musketry, India in 1918.

I did not discover any entries for enlistment or discharge. Can you share where you found them?

Famous for offering help & advice

Sorry, I missed this post but have replied to your PM with links to his medal card, medal award rolls, and the war diaries.

PS: Just glancing through the war diary, the entry for 28-30 Oct 1915 shows that 200 men joined the Bn on 30th Oct, which would tie in with his medal card showing him entering a theatre of war (ie landing) on 28 Oct 1915

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123