Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Ancestry - all access - India, Pakistan

Hi all, quick query.. I have recently upgraded to ancestry all access as my husband wants me to start looking into his family tree. I've started looking and have immediately hit a brick wall, cannot find either of his parent's birth records, his father was born in India, his mother in Pakistan. Is ancestry the best place to be looking for records from this part of the world? The whole reason I've gone for the all access is to look into their background and getting nowhere so far?
    Do I need to be looking somewhere else?
    Thanks
    Sarah

Famous for offering help & advice

Can you post names & DOB here and place if known.

I have edited the title of this thread in the hope that a bit more info will attract more interest from the area experts.
    Good luck!

PS Whenever I need to know about the system in a country I don't know about, I usually start at the LDS site, Family Search. Their background info is usually very good.

Reputation beyond repute

A salutary reminder! Don't sign up for anything unless you know what you're buying!

There are some tips here...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/history/familyh...laces_01.shtml

Starting to feel at home

Hey all,
    So my husband's father is Richard Michael Smith born 18 Dec 1953 in Amritsar, Punjab, India. His parents were Carl Denzil Nicholas Smith (b1928 in Amritsar) and Kaleopi Varcardo (b1929 in Laros, Greece).

His mother is Ramona Esther Denise Marolly born 6 Feb 1956 in Karachi, Pakistan. Her parents were Desmond Clayton Marolly (b1926 in Allahbad, India) and Alice Winifred Pett (b1926, Bagdad, Iraq).

To make things even more complex I'm not 100% sure that these names are their real ones as I know surnames were changed back in the day to make them sound 'less ethnic' I know my husband's parents faced alot of racism when they came to England in the 70s.. so yes.. where do I even begin on this!

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    I have edited the title of this thread in the hope that a bit more info will attract more interest from the area experts.
    Good luck!

PS Whenever I need to know about the system in a country I don't know about, I usually start at the LDS site, Family Search. Their background info is usually very good.
    thank you I will have a look at this now!

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    A salutary reminder! Don't sign up for anything unless you know what you're buying!

There are some tips here...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/history/familyh...laces_01.shtml
    I know! tbh I will still get very good use out of the subscription as most of my family are English and some emigrated to Australia so I can look up their records.. just really hoping to get some background on my husband's family as they aren't very forthcoming with information so it would be nice to know!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Findmypast have some Indian records.
    Click the search box to get a dropd-own menu which ends with A-Z record sets. Click that and then enter India into the search box.

If you haven't previously done so you can take out a 14-day free trial (make sure you untick the 'auto renew' box, or your local library may have free access.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Findmypast have some Indian records.
    Click the search box to get a dropd-own menu which ends with A-Z record sets. Click that and then enter India into the search box.

If you haven't previously done so you can take out a 14-day free trial (make sure you untick the 'auto renew' box, or your local library may have free access.

Pam
    I've had a look through these, I have find my past too, can't find any of them, either my search skills aren't up to scratch or my husband's entire family are figments of my imagination haha!

Famous for offering help & advice

Find My Past has the 1948 Lahore marriage of Carl D N Smith but names his spouse as Pauline Kaliope VARCADOS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast