Geoff1959

Default Looking for Magdale Villas, Nr Saltash

Hi can any of you good people help me with the location of "Magdale Villas" nr Plymouth.
    The best I have is possibly Saltash or St Germans. The period that interested in is 1946.A Google search has not returned anything on either of those locations. Is it possible that it "vanished" as a result of war time bombing?

Regards,

Brick wall demolition expert!

Is this just an address that you have from the family or from a census or the 1939 register? If it's one of the latter if you provide that it will help us. If it's the former then the local record office might be able to help or you need to lňok at old maps and the best site is National Library of Scotland (which covers all of the UK) https://maps.nls.uk.

House names can be changed very easily. When my parents bought a 100 year old house in 1971 the previous owners had built a new house on an adjoining plot of land and wanted to take the original house name with them and as far I can recall all that was done was include that in the contract, and tell people like the post office and council.

Famous for offering help & advice

the 1939 register has people living at MAGDALA Villas, Saltash. I don't know whether the 'before' and 'after' addresses are relevant or not. The entries above are St Stephen's Road. The entries below are Well Park Terrace. No particular road is attached to the villas.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I don't know how wimsey managed to find the address in the 1939 Register but

From my own experience, something like Liverpool Villas or Mersey Terrace are houses or a terrace thereof in a road, and they often have the name and the year built above the doors of one of the houses. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case in Saltash.

The way I read the addresses in the 1939 Register is that Magdala Villas, Well Park Terrace and Warfelton Terrace are all part of St Stephen's Road, just before its junction with Callington Road.

If you want to find the images on the Register then search for Rose Ellis born 1880 living in Saltash. (Just noticed that FMP have transcribed the address as MagdalE Villas, yet the image clearly says MagdalA.)

Geoff - if you want to know which particular 'set' of houses are your Villas then I think you might need to send a letter to the local paper because postcode finder simply lists the addresses in St Stephens Road as a number. There are quite a few houses on the right-hand side of the road, going down from Callington Road, but you can't see them very well as they are set back from the road behind a wall.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Magdala Villas were next to Chichester House. Cannot find Chichester House on old-maps but the Villas were not far from Dunheved House. Dunheved House can be seen here marked on this 1894 map -
    https://old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/242545/58862/12/100687

It (ie. Dunheved House) is not marked on this later 1933 map but can be recognised
    https://old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/242545/58862/12/101240

Properties near Magdala Villas were Minden Villa, Rosemont and Malvern - none of which are identified on old maps.

Note - when viewing the links you may need to use zoom reduce (-) feature to display.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

The Western Daily Mercury, 28 Mar 1912, has Chichester House on St. Stephen's Road, Saltash, on a high ground, on a corner site, close to Victoria Gardens.

You can see Victoria Gardens on the '33 map.

Googling Chichester House returns 27 St. Stephen Rd, Saltash - a corner plot.

Geoff1959

That's great thankyou all for your help.

Streetview - across the road from Chichester House is Malvern House.

keith.robinson

If you look at this link:https://dustydocs.com/link/6/25406/14...s-project.html it lists No 227 Malvern. Malvern House is now a nursing and residential home. To the right of it, on Google maps, are 2 "villa" type semi detached houses. The link list lists 4 Magdala addresses.
    Just my thoughts.