Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Fothergill in Bristol brickwall

I'm trying to find the baptism and parents of my 3x great-grandfather, Henry John Fothergill (?-1873), a bookbinder who spent most of his life in London. In the 1861 Census, it says birthplace unknown but in every other census it says Bristol. Based on the ages given in his various records (inc death cert) we're looking at an estimated birth range of 1803-1807. In his second marriage record, he says his father was also a Henry John Fothergill, farmer, but no sign of him that I can find! As some of the Fothergills were Quakers, I've also looked in the non-conformist registers but I'm completely stuck and would appreciate a fresh pair of eyes.

Starting to feel at home

This isn't an exact match - but, very close. Different middle name, but location is very close to Bristol (just a little east) and date of Baptism seems correct in 1804. If not yr 3xgreat-grandfather, most probably a cousin of his???

Starting to feel at home

Sorry...forgot to add the link for the Baptism record - here it is:

https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_re...4-06?locale=en

Starting to feel at home

Sorry...just reread yr post and you say that his father was also named Henry John. Father on Baptism record is listed as "Thomas", so not a match. Perhaps a cousin though. Good luck with yr search!

Starting to feel at home

wilson8, many thanks for replying. I had looked at that baptism (just in case!) but that chap followed a different path in later censuses. One day, I hope they'll be an answer to the puzzle!

Starting to feel at home

Well, it's been three weeks now so I'm guessing nobody has any other ideas. Never mind ... back to the drawing board!

Hi Jessie, I don't remember seeing your post before, you posted when I was on holiday.

I will try to help tonight, though as no-one else seems to have found anything my search may also result in nothing, I will try my best.

It may be late when I have some free time as I'm babysitting tonight.

Thank you for bumping your query up it gives those who missed it a chance to search.
    Alma

Well, Jessie, I've not had any luck finding Henry's christening record thus far.

I have found only one record which connects him to Bristol, his daughter Adelaide's christening. All his other children as far as I can tell were christened in London. He married Rosannah/Rosina bryant Wingrave in London and the first child christening I found was in London, so, he must have left London between 1830 - 1833, and then returned to London.

Adelaide Rosina Fothergill, 20 Jan 1833, Holy Trinity, Bristol, Gloucester
    Parents: Henry Fothergill and Rosina Fothergill

Jane Amelia Fothergill, 01 Aug 1830, St Ann Blackfriars, London.
    Parents: Henry John Fothergill and Rosina

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
    Alma

Starting to feel at home

Many thanks for your time and trouble, almach. I do appreciate it!

I had noticed that baptism before and took it as a good sign that our Henry was actually connected to Bristol, especially as it said birthplace unknown in one census. I wondered if he’d gone back to Bristol to visit relatives so I checked all the baptism, marriage and burial registers for Fothergills six months either side!

A year ago, I started to build up a database of all the Fothergills living in England starting from the 1841 Census so I could organise them all into family groups. It’s helping but very time-consuming! Also, as the English wills are only £1.50 each at the moment, I ordered 20 Fothergill wills for £30 to try to cross-check relationships in those. You can tell I’m grasping at every straw! This month I’m slowly adding all Henry’s children to WikiTree because I find it helps to re-examine research I did years ago. I’m hoping that a witness at a wedding or neighbour in a census that I forgot to follow up might give me another clue.

My DNA matches with Fothergill ancestors all go back to Ravenstonedale but I don’t believe in guessing or making a convenient leap of faith so I’m still on the search for evidence. Onwards and upwards ...!

Starting to feel at home

It probably doesn't help, but my Great Grandmother's family are Fothergills from Bristol. I can't find a Henry though (that's not to say he's not there, as I haven't looked too much into the Cousin branches). If I find anything I'll post an update.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast